Building a redfoot enclosure/live plant ideas

Shaybe13

Location (City and/or State)
Roanoke, VA
I am currently in the process of upgrading my redfoots enclosure and, after much research, decided to go ahead and design/build it myself. I am hoping to make it into a vivarium but have seen many mixed reviews about which plants to use. So far I have purchased a tortoise seed mix to plant in trays for grazing, have a few pothos plants that have thrived in his old enclosure, and am also thinking about spider plants and live moss. The substrate will be a coco coir and orchid bark.

Attached is a picture of what I have built so far. Everything will be stained and sealed with polyurethane, and the inside will be covered with a plastic lining. Then the entire top will be plexiglass.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• 0919211954a.jpg
    0919211954a.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 0919211954c.jpg
    0919211954c.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 0919211954b.jpg
    0919211954b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I am currently in the process of upgrading my redfoots enclosure and, after much research, decided to go ahead and design/build it myself. I am hoping to make it into a vivarium but have seen many mixed reviews about which plants to use. So far I have purchased a tortoise seed mix to plant in trays for grazing, have a few pothos plants that have thrived in his old enclosure, and am also thinking about spider plants and live moss. The substrate will be a coco coir and orchid bark.

Attached is a picture of what I have built so far. Everything will be stained and sealed with polyurethane, and the inside will be covered with a plastic lining. Then the entire top will be plexiglass.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Pothos, Boston Fern, spider plants, and liriope are my go to indoor enclosure plants.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Pothos, Boston Fern, spider plants, and liriope are my go to indoor enclosure plants.
That's interesting! I have been avoiding liriope because The Tortoise Table said it was a "Do Not Feed." Have your tortoises eaten any of it? I would love to add liriope to my RT's inside and outside enclosures.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's interesting! I have been avoiding liriope because The Tortoise Table said it was a "Do Not Feed." Have your tortoises eaten any of it? I would love to add liriope to my RT's inside and outside enclosures.
All my tortoises tend to ignore it. I've been using it in my enclosures for years. I've never seen anybody eating it.