building a redfoot enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I'm building an enclosure for 5 red foot babies I will be getting this April. I wanted everyone's input in this one (especially yours Terry:)).
I have an old entertainment center in the garage that has just sat and collected junk over the years. It's about 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide. I am going to buy some 1/2 inch plywood to make the floor (the back is just cardboard). My question is how long will this contain these guys before I have to build a bigger one? I will be moving in a couple of years and wanted to keep it as simple as possible until I get into my permanent home! The ages of these guys when I get them will be between 6 and 11 months (am I right on that Terry?) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
RE: building an enclosure

do you mind if i move this to the Enclosures forum and rename it to "building a redfoot enclosure"?

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma

I'm sorry Josh...please do:shy:

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA

no need to apologize :)

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tortiana I know you want to build a nice enclosure for your redfoots. I want to suggest that you use plastic rabbit hutches. They are light wieght , inexpencive and easy to clean. Also you can move them outside on sunny days. Just my 2cents. Good luck with your group! Did you pick them out already?

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Redfootedboxturtles said:
Tortiana I know you want to build a nice enclosure for your redfoots. I want to suggest that you use plastic rabbit hutches. They are light wieght , inexpencive and easy to clean. Also you can move them outside on sunny days. Just my 2cents. Good luck with your group! Did you pick them out already?

The rabbit hutch idea sounds great, Red!! I will look into those right away ;). Yes, I have all my guys on reserve, two paid for. They are from Terry's gorgeous group. Here they are!

DSC089642.jpg

7CR4

7C10.jpg

7CR10 (older pic)

DSC088812.jpg

7CR31

8cr6b.jpg

8CR6

I don't have a pic of 8CR4, but that one is on his turtletary.com website.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I would suggest as temporary home for these guys looking into a plastic tub. I have 6 hatchlings in one that is 36 x 24 x 12. They about $10 a piece at home improvement stores.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Itort said:
I would suggest as temporary home for these guys looking into a plastic tub. I have 6 hatchlings in one that is 36 x 24 x 12. They about $10 a piece at home improvement stores.

Thanks :). I had thought of the plastic tub idea, but I didn't know if I could find one big enough. I will look into those as well :)

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Crazy1 said:
Carolyn, I have to say they are beautiful babies.

Thanks Robyn:). I can hardly wait until spring!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
tortania said:
Itort said:

Thanks :). I had thought of the plastic tub idea, but I didn't know if I could find one big enough. I will look into those as well :)

Look for concrete mixing tubs at Home Depot or Lowes, etc. They would work well and you can cover one end or half.

Here is a rabbit cage I use as a Hermanns winter bachelor pad.
[IMG=400x254]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p239/hisdsrtrose/torts/c661e125.jpg[/IMG]

These would need some modifications done to retain humidity for the RF babies I think.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
JustAnja said:
tortania said:
Itort said:

Look for concrete mixing tubs at Home Depot or Lowes, etc. They would work well and you can cover one end or half.

Here is a rabbit cage I use as a Hermanns winter bachelor pad.
[IMG=400x254]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p239/hisdsrtrose/torts/c661e125.jpg[/IMG]

These would need some modifications done to retain humidity for the RF babies I think.

Yes, you are right Anja. Nice looking bachelor pad by the way! It would be awfully difficult to maintain correct humidity in something like that.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
What about a 36 x 24 x 8 mixing tub?? Lowes has them for $13. Would I need two of them for the 5 babies?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
tortania said:
What about a 36 x 24 x 8 mixing tub?? Lowes has them for $13. Would I need two of them for the 5 babies?

I would think two of the concrete mixing tubs would be sufficient for quite some time for them.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
JustAnja said:
tortania said:

I would think two of the concrete mixing tubs would be sufficient for quite some time for them.

Thanks Anja :). I'm getting them today!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have found that I'm building up a collection of these tubs. Their uses for tort keepers are almost infinate.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i really like the rabbit hutches. They are perfect plus I have a cat so the top part is a must. But tubs would work just fine if you dont have any pesky mammals lurking

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
i really like the rabbit hutches. They are perfect plus I have a cat so the top part is a must. But tubs would work just fine if you dont have any pesky mammals lurking

Do you modify them to hold in humidity? I like these indoor rabbit cages as well, just think they would definitely need mods to retain humidity for Redfoots. (I jump on every one I run across on Craigslist, because they are great for small torts and hatchlings in Spring when I can move them in and out of the house on warm, sunny days and not worry about predators)

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I always pick up used one too. I have too many. No I don't modify them at all. I use cypress mulch with a couple hide spots. And when I give the big guys water I always soak down the mulch. Has to be done every day. But it says nice best of both worlds ventilation and humidity.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I always pick up used one too. I have too many. No I don't modify them at all. I use cypress mulch with a couple hide spots. And when I give the big guys water I always soak down the mulch. Has to be done every day. But it says nice best of both worlds ventilation and humidity.

Do you have pics of the ones you have setup for small redfoots by chance? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.