Building A Tortoise Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We are trying to figure out a good design for a tortoise table, space is limited so what we're thinking is to build a two level tort table. The bottom 5'Lx3'Wx18"H with the upper lever being 3'x3'. This way it would give Harriett who is a Hermanns quite a bit of floor space.
My question is, does this sound like it would work? Anyone who has had any experience with building something like this, we would appreciate any input.
We've never done anything like this as Harriett is our first tort. We are planning on using melamine to build this. Does that sound good?

Also, for an enclosure like this what would be the best way to set up the light/heating? Right now I have a Mega Ray for her that gives her the UVB and heat.

Does anyone have any pics of any enclosures like this?
Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
how big is harriett? 24square feet is a lot of area. i have ~12 square ft for my DT hatchlings. what i did was i bought a reptisun10UVB bulb and placed it across the long side. UVB bulbs typically have an effective range of 12"-24" so thats something to keep in mind.
my 'tort table' was premade but there are a lot of folks on here who have built some really nice elaborate custom made tables...im sure they will follow with some photos.
good luck!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Welcome to the forum Cheryl. There are some really great pics in the enclosure portion of the forum. There are some 2 level tables that you will be able to get ideas from. I am going to be building a tort table out of melamine also. It works great...easy to clean. I have made other cages out of it.

Cheryl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Josh, Harriett is only about 7-8 months old but I always thought that the more room you can give torts the happier they are.
Thanks for the info.

Dee, thanks for your input and the welcome. :)

I search for some pics.

Cheryl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortugaNtexas said:
Cheryl said:
We are trying to figure out a good design for a tortoise table, space is limited so what we're thinking is to build a two level tort table. The bottom 5'Lx3'Wx18"H with the upper lever being 3'x3'. This way it would give Harriett who is a Hermanns quite a bit of floor space.
My question is, does this sound like it would work? Anyone who has had any experience with building something like this, we would appreciate any input.
We've never done anything like this as Harriett is our first tort. We are planning on using melamine to build this. Does that sound good?

Also, for an enclosure like this what would be the best way to set up the light/heating? Right now I have a Mega Ray for her that gives her the UVB and heat.

Does anyone have any pics of any enclosures like this?
Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

My husband built a great turtle table which I'll be happy to send pics but the file is too large to post. If you would like the pics emailed to you, then please send your email address...

Thanks,
sheri
Thank you, I PM'd you my email address.

Thank you for all the ideas and the pics are really helpful.

TestudoGeek, Where did you get the seed from to grow all of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.