Building an indoor enclosure for my 6mo Russian

TortTomlinson

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I’m building my own indoor enclosure for my baby Russian. Does the renderings look okay? Any suggestions? What temperature does the covered areas need to be? Do they like them colder or warmer? Any temperature ranges that are best?
9FEF1084-1042-4B11-B47A-2784D0E70E59.jpeg097E50B3-89A6-4F4B-BAD1-0FB084809B17.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Large vivs are often recommended for young torts so you have better control of temps and humidity. They eventually need 4 x 8 feet minimum, but if you have to have a table now go as big as you can and look at ways you can cover it to retain humidity and temps.
This up to date caresheet will help you, so read and then ask as many questions as you like

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m building my own indoor enclosure for my baby Russian. Does the renderings look okay? Any suggestions? What temperature does the covered areas need to be? Do they like them colder or warmer? Any temperature ranges that are best?
View attachment 337161View attachment 337162
As Lyn said, you'd be much better off with a large closed chamber. Trying to heat an open table is like trying to heat your house with no roof. Your heater can run all day ad night and your house simply won't retain the heat being produced and delivered.

Open tables only work if the room temperature and humidity match what the animal needs. When your tortoise is an adult, a large open table will work fine because room temp and dry air suits adults just fine. Babies will do better with warmer temps and some moderate humidity.