Building an outdoor enclosure for Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
St. Charles
Hi all,

I have a male Sulcata who is 11 years old and maybe a foot long (yes I know he's small for his age, he had a poor diet). We live in the Midwest and are wanting to build an outdoor enclosure so that he can get all the sun he wants this time of year.

I am planning on using cinder blocks, stacked 3 high. Do I need to sink anything in the ground? He's not a big digger. I'm not entirely sure how big I should make the enclosure yet.

I also want to put some shrubs in that will act as shade and a food source. Does anyone have any suggestions for shrubs that will last through a Midwestern winter and come back every year?

We will also probably buy a small dog kennel as a night box.

Any help/suggestions would be super helpful!

PXL_20220501_232101043.jpg

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I have a male Sulcata who is 11 years old and maybe a foot long (yes I know he's small for his age, he had a poor diet). We live in the Midwest and are wanting to build an outdoor enclosure so that he can get all the sun he wants this time of year.

I am planning on using cinder blocks, stacked 3 high. Do I need to sink anything in the ground? He's not a big digger. I'm not entirely sure how big I should make the enclosure yet.

I also want to put some shrubs in that will act as shade and a food source. Does anyone have any suggestions for shrubs that will last through a Midwestern winter and come back every year?

View attachment 344052
Cinderblocks will hold a 12 incher with no problem. Stagger the middle row with a half block for added strength. Make the enclosure absolutely HUGE. Do an acre if you can. He will use as much space as you give him. I think 50x50 is a minimum for an adult, but much larger than that is better. Be sure to incorporate plenty of shade in the design and location.

No need to bury anything.

Plant mulberry trees for summer shade and winter sun when the leaves drop. Rose of Sharon will survive your winters and come back in spring. How about grape vines? The main thing is grass. Lots and lots of grass for him to eat. Use pasture seed from a feed store, not hardware store lawn seed.

Dog houses don't work for tortoises. They are designed all wrong. By the time you modify it and retro fit it with all that is needed, you would have been better off building from scratch. Here is an example or two:

Questions are welcome.

St. Charles
Cinderblocks will hold a 12 incher with no problem. Stagger the middle row with a half block for added strength. Make the enclosure absolutely HUGE. Do an acre if you can. He will use as much space as you give him. I think 50x50 is a minimum for an adult, but much larger than that is better. Be sure to incorporate plenty of shade in the design and location.

No need to bury anything.

Plant mulberry trees for summer shade and winter sun when the leaves drop. Rose of Sharon will survive your winters and come back in spring. How about grape vines? The main thing is grass. Lots and lots of grass for him to eat. Use pasture seed from a feed store, not hardware store lawn seed.

Dog houses don't work for tortoises. They are designed all wrong. By the time you modify it and retro fit it with all that is needed, you would have been better off building from scratch. Here is an example or two:

Questions are welcome.
Thanks for the info! I do have a 5 yr old german shepherd that will also use the yard. Three bricks high won't deter the dog. Any suggestions for making the walls higher to prevent the dog getting in? Like a taller fence or?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info! I do have a 5 yr old german shepherd that will also use the yard. Three bricks high won't deter the dog. Any suggestions for making the walls higher to prevent the dog getting in? Like a taller fence or?
9 gauge chain link to keep the dog out. At least 4 feet high is your dog is not a jumper. 6 feet or more if your dog is a determined jumper. Or you can build a wooden frame and attach 1x2 inch welded wire to make a big enclosed cage. I house my stars this way. The cage was originally built for blackthroat monitor lizards.

TanksALot

South Carolina
Hi all,

View attachment 344052
Rebar is about to become your best friend! Rebar will support the blocks and assist in keeping them in line. I am pounding mine at least 8-10" into the dirt. My easy estimate for a stack of (3) 8x8x16 is 32-34". Once you have your fortress set, filling it with sand will add to its stability and escape proofing it a bit more. I Gotta Go...building my enclosure now!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is where my 10 yr old Female Sulcata lives...it's heated and insulated basking lights and heaters DSCN1555.JPG100_6311.JPG
I am the Queen of cinder block...frankly, Mary will stand on her back feet, and pound at the top block until over it goes and out she goes...lol