Building Clyde's adult enclosure

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I have a Russian tortoise, about 70 grams living in a 2x4 foot enclosure. While it is plenty of space now, we recently moved things around and I'm planning on getting his adult enclosure started soon. It still won't be the 'ideal' size for an adult Russian but it will be as big as we can fit for the foreseeable future and wanting to run some information past everyone to see if I'm missing anything or if anyone has ideas to help.

The new enclosure will be 70" by 20". The substrate will be 4" deep mixture of ecoearth and top soil. Due to location, I plan on radiant heat panels rather than che, one on each end, for a hot spot and a warm humid hide. I will use a florescent tube for UVB. Cool spot will be in the middle of the enclosure.

Due to cats it will be closed chamber. I plan on a cent or two to make sure it still has airflow.

I would like some cover for Clyde. I have considered some fake plants as well as some home grown potted plants that will not be buried into the substrate so he (hopefully) can't climb up and eat them as much. Any suggestions on this category?

Anything I forgot please let me know!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Not sure how hostas hold up to Oklahoma Heat but they're a go to for me in my outdoor enclosures. The torts don't seem to snack on them much but they're perfectly safe if they do. They spread like crazy and provide good shade cover since they grow in clusters.

daniellenc

Maryland
My guy eats the hostas and flowers but luckily they’re very hardy and great for hiding.

daniellenc

Maryland
Also pothos and air plant. Campanula is a wondering plant too and yummy tort food. Check out tortoise table there are so many!!

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Campanula is my Russians absolute favourite. I have 3 of them that I rotate in the enclosure. Once he’s eaten most of the flowers I take it out and let it grow for a couple of weeks and then rotate it again.