Building First Tort Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

TicoTheTort

5 Year Member
This is my first go at building a tort table, so constructive criticism is welcome. This table is built out of 100% recycled wood I got from my neighbor! It measures just over 3 feet long by just over 2 feet wide and has 8 inch sides. I do not have a tort to take over the property just yet, but it will be for a hatchling to yearling leopard tort once my wife and I finish getting the inside remodeled! Oh yeah, the housing fixture on the left will be for the lighting and stands just over 12 inches from the floor. Like I said, let me know of any improvements I can make. I will post more pics as I get more done.

WOW, obviously this is my first picture post too! Sorry for the small pics everyone, not the most computer savvy guy. Will try for bigger ones next time.

Attachments

• table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 53
  • table2.jpg
    table2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 44
  • table3.jpg
    table3.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 51
  • table4.jpg
    table4.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 89

TicoTheTort

5 Year Member
Lets try these pics again (building first enclosure)

Hopefully these photos will be a bit easier on the eyes...let me know what you guys think. The white table is another that I am working on, I guess it's easy to start the projects when the wood is free.

torttable005.jpg

torttable004.jpg

torttable003.jpg

torttable002.jpg

torttable001.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Very nice. What kind of tortoise are you putting in there? And what is the little second story house all about? Its quite eye-appealing, but I'm a little bit worried about what kind of wood that is and if its going to leach any oils out into the substrate.

TicoTheTort

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Yvonne, my neighbor said that it was oak, but I'm not 100% on ID'ing wood. I will be putting a plastic barrier in there before the substrate goes down, I will have to ask him if he had the wood stained or not. The housing is for the light fixture, I'm not a big fan of seeing the fixture hanging above the table so I thought that this might me a little more aesthetically pleasing. The table will house a leopard tortoise once all is said and done. I'm waiting until I have the table completed and some produce growing before I get the last piece to the puzzle. I am looking for a yearling, possibly a little younger.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am really interested to see how the light house works out. What is the second tortoise table (white one) going to be used for?

TicoTheTort

5 Year Member
Jacqui I will take some pics of the light house in the AM so you can see how it will be set up. The white table was my original table I was building for a leopard, but when I saw this wood out for free I figured I would build something a little smaller to start the tort out in. I may build a framed wire lid for the white one to keep the tort outside for a few hours until it is old enough to stay outside unattended and in no enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.