Building my own closed chamber

hydro708

Location (City and/or State)
ANAHEIM
So I've been searching and trying to find a PVC enclosure for my tortoises however I'm not willing and wanting to wait 10 16 20 weeks for it to get shipped so I am taking it upon my own hands to build my own enclosure out of PVC sheets from Home Depot but I had a question that plastic 2x4 decking the all-weather decking could I use that on the inside for my supports rather than wood 2x4s for the structural support

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
So I've been searching and trying to find a PVC enclosure for my tortoises however I'm not willing and wanting to wait 10 16 20 weeks for it to get shipped so I am taking it upon my own hands to build my own enclosure out of PVC sheets from Home Depot but I had a question that plastic 2x4 decking the all-weather decking could I use that on the inside for my supports rather than wood 2x4s for the structural support
You do not need structural supports unless it is a very large enclosure and you need to support the top piece across the middle. @Sterant wrote a nice post on how to build a PVC enclosure.

That will give you the info you need. All enclosures of PVC you can buy are single walled 1/2" PVC as Sterant uses in his post. IF you are trying / wanting to build a double walled enclosure, mine (Smart Enclosures) are the only ones built using double walled construction. I use 1/2" pvc cut into 1/2" x 1-1/2" strips as the "2x4s" between the sides that are 1/4" pvc sheets. But that is a very complicated build using over 150 pieces as opposed to all other enclosures of PVC that are made from 6 pieces of 1/2" pvc.

So the post Sterant made is the easiest to follow. No structural support except a piece across the top. All sheets can be cemented together with PVC cement.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
You do not need structural supports unless it is a very large enclosure and you need to support the top piece across the middle. @Sterant wrote a nice post on how to build a PVC enclosure.

That will give you the info you need. All enclosures of PVC you can buy are single walled 1/2" PVC as Sterant uses in his post. IF you are trying / wanting to build a double walled enclosure, mine (Smart Enclosures) are the only ones built using double walled construction. I use 1/2" pvc cut into 1/2" x 1-1/2" strips as the "2x4s" between the sides that are 1/4" pvc sheets. But that is a very complicated build using over 150 pieces as opposed to all other enclosures of PVC that are made from 6 pieces of 1/2" pvc.

So the post Sterant made is the easiest to follow. No structural support except a piece across the top. All sheets can be cemented together with PVC cement.
Agreed! My husband and father used this tutorial to create an enclosed PVC chamber for my Russian. Best thing we ever did for my tortoise!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Agreed! My husband and father used this tutorial to create an enclosed PVC chamber for my Russian. Best thing we ever did for my tortoise!
Reading this makes me happy. When people like @Tom and @Markw84 post directions for other people to copy, it shows me they care more about the tortoises than making a buck for themselves. No doubt Mark's PVC chamber is amazing and worth every penny. BUT for those who without the budget to buy it yet the willingness to build it themselves, this is a great example of true community.

I copied Tom's night box design. Best thing ever! My hubby would NEVER have let me hire someone to build it and I wouldn't have known how to without copying his design.

Jennifer, I'm happy to hear your tort has awesome space thanks for Mark sharing his tutorial!

OP, good luck with your DIY project! & share it here when you're done :) :tort:

hydro708

ANAHEIM
Mark do you sell your power strip from your smart enclosure? Are you going to the super reptile show this weekend?

hydro708

ANAHEIM
So I can't get pvc anywhere for a good price but I can get 1/2 komatex 4x8 sheets is this material okay to use to build my own enclosure? And it's not a bad price and they have a ton of it. I hope this will work 🙏 thanks everyone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mark do you sell your power strip from your smart enclosure? Are you going to the super reptile show this weekend?
Mark, Will and I will all be there. Look for Kapidolo Farms and the GTA (Galapagos Tortoise Alliance).

So I can't get pvc anywhere for a good price but I can get 1/2 komatex 4x8 sheets is this material okay to use to build my own enclosure? And it's not a bad price and they have a ton of it. I hope this will work 🙏 thanks everyone.
It appears that Komatex is a brand name for expanded PVC? I've never heard of it, so I looked it up. I can guarantee that @Markw84 will have more insight on this than I do.

hydro708

ANAHEIM
Ok thanks Tom what about thermostats would it be best to have one for the basking light and ve 300 for me heat panel so I can get drops at night? Or can I get away with 1 ve 300 x2 or 2 ve 100
I remember someone sharing cut out sheets for a 4x2x2 or 5 x3x2 do u know where I can find those also?thanks again!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Ok thanks Tom what about thermostats would it be best to have one for the basking light and ve 300 for me heat panel so I can get drops at night? Or can I get away with 1 ve 300 x2 or 2 ve 100
I remember someone sharing cut out sheets for a 4x2x2 or 5 x3x2 do u know where I can find those also?thanks again!
Stop by our booth at the show in Pomona this weekend so we can discuss your questions. Too much to type right now as I am trying to pack to get on the road for the show.

See you this weekend

hydro708

ANAHEIM
Ok I no problem I appreciate it... I can't make it Saturday it's my daughters birthday. Will you be there on Sunday markw84?