Building two story Tort pen, need advice.

He_Who_Yeets

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Fe
I'm planning to build an enclosure for one or two Mediterranean Tortoises, more than likely a Greek, Russian, or Hermann's. I would really like a Western Hermann's, but they're awfully expensive and are apparently more delicate than an Eastern, meaning the ladder would be easier to take care of, especially for a first time Tort owner as myself. I have limited space in which to place a pen, and it may end up being as small as 4'x4', which I feel may be a little small for one or two adult Tortoises, so I'd like to make it two stories, 1.5'-2' in height per story. The top floor I would make drier and warmer with a basking light, and the lower floor cooler and damper with no basking light, possibly lit with a UVB fixture, each with about 6" of substrate. My question is basically if a two story Tortoise enclosure is even viable; I know (some) Tortoises like to explore, but from what I've heard they are one of the dumber species of reptiles, so would they even be able to comprehend a two story pen in which the two floor have different humidities and temperatures? The ramp in between the floors would probably be about 30-45 degrees, is that too steep for them? Would they be able to climb up and down it safely provided it had something on it for them to grip onto as well as railing to prevent them from falling off?
Again I'm a first time Tort owner, so any other advice you can give for building a pen would be appreciated.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

First, you need to plan on only one tortoise. Pairs don't work, as tortoises are solitary creatures, and do not need or want a friend. Invariably, one bullies the other, eventually leading to fighting, injury, and even death.

Many people have built 2 story homes for their tortoises. If you search through this subforum, Tortoise Enclosures, you will find pictures of a few 2 floor houses. The tortoises seem to learn to use both areas very readily. I think you will be surprised that they are much brighter than you think they are. And what they do lack in IQ they make up for with persistence.

I'm going to link some threads for you. All the species you mentioned require similar care, so the care sheet covers you.

Are you planning to get a hatchling or adult? If a hatchling, he will need an entirely different setup for at least his first year, called a closed chamber. So before you build, you need to know which it will be.

4 elements of heating: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-set-up-heat-in-new-enclosure.179311/post-1789328

He_Who_Yeets

Santa Fe
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

First, you need to plan on only one tortoise. Pairs don't work, as tortoises are solitary creatures, and do not need or want a friend. Invariably, one bullies the other, eventually leading to fighting, injury, and even death.

Many people have built 2 story homes for their tortoises. If you search through this subforum, Tortoise Enclosures, you will find pictures of a few 2 floor houses. The tortoises seem to learn to use both areas very readily. I think you will be surprised that they are much brighter than you think they are. And what they do lack in IQ they make up for with persistence.

I'm going to link some threads for you. All the species you mentioned require similar care, so the care sheet covers you.

Are you planning to get a hatchling or adult? If a hatchling, he will need an entirely different setup for at least his first year, called a closed chamber. So before you build, you need to know which it will be.

4 elements of heating: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-set-up-heat-in-new-enclosure.179311/post-1789328
Do you think a 6"plywood wall would suffice to prevent a hermann's or russian tortoise from climbing out?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree. 6" isn't high enough, at least a foot. And you don't want anything near the wall to climb on. They will use it to get over the wall. They are all little Houdinis.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look at this thread!