Built an outdoor cart for my small box turtles

Mdsnow

Location (City and/or State)
El Dorado Hills CA
Have 4 younger box turtles that live in a 40 gallon indoor terrarium. Wanted to expose them to outdoor sun and air on warmer days. Bought a Gorilla Cart from Home Depot and made a plywood bottom. Put Vita-Sand in one side with a water dish and strawberries in the other. So far, it seems that the turtles are liking the safe outdoor environment. I even built a wire framed top that I bungie on so a bird does attack them. Mel

20200207_120353.jpg20200207_120411.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a good idea! Make sure they can navigate the different levels without falling over.

Mdsnow

El Dorado Hills CA
Not a bad idea, but get rid of the sand ASAP. Its a serious impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.
Thanks for the warning. I've removed it and have built up that side with soil they're used to in the terrarium. Also put some flat rocks in water dish for smaller turtle and built up by the wooden divider to avoid flipping over. Rescued the smaller one earlier today upside down in the sand. New design should eliminate that. QUESTION: A few months ago, I introduced a chuttlebone and the larger turtles nip at the edge . Was told it's a good source of calcium for their shell health and sharpens and wears down their beaks. Your opinion?

Sa Ga

MN
I love the idea!!! It is sturdy, great ventilation. and portable!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Great idea, I could have used that when Opo was young.

Esc

San Antonio, Texas
Have 4 younger box turtles that live in a 40 gallon indoor terrarium. Wanted to expose them to outdoor sun and air on warmer days. Bought a Gorilla Cart from Home Depot and made a plywood bottom. Put Vita-Sand in one side with a water dish and strawberries in the other. So far, it seems that the turtles are liking the safe outdoor environment. I even built a wire framed top that I bungie on so a bird does attack them. Mel

View attachment 285948View attachment 285949
Genius! Love it! I’m going to do that for ours!!!!

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
It looks great. I see that you have some delicious strawberry treats planted for them. Sadly, I could never trust myself with this sort of set-up. As soon as I turned around, I'd get distracted by something else, only to remember hours later that I'd left my babies in the scorching sunlight.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
It looks great. I see that you have some delicious strawberry treats planted for them. Sadly, I could never trust myself with this sort of set-up. As soon as I turned around, I'd get distracted by something else, only to remember hours later that I'd left my babies in the scorching sunlight.
Probably can set a wood plank on top, just incase.