Built my first enclosure (2 levels)

HenryG

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz
I don't see these kind of builds super often, but this is a 4x3, 2 level, Hermann's tortoise enclosure I finished yesterday. The total cost was about $100. Might give inspiration to someone who is thinking about a 2 level tortoise enclosure. The top level is latched on to the bottom so it lifts easily and the ramp is connected with a door hinge on the bottom of top level.

My Hermann's tortoise is around 5 years old. She is also about 6-7 inches.

All suggestions or critiques are welcomed. 20190922_210715.jpeg20190922_210722.jpeg20190922_210734.jpeg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That is dope. You did not have more space to make it bigger?

HenryG

Santa Cruz
That is dope. You did not have more space to make it bigger?
No more space. The biggest space was a 3x4. Because my Eastern Hermanns tortoise is only around 5, this enclosure fits her perfectly right now. Might need to upgrade in a few years or so. It also took her about 2 days to get used to the ramp, now she goes up and down all the time. (PS. I have to put grip/ anti-slip tape on the ramp, the wood was too slippery)

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
No more space. The biggest space was a 3x4. Because my Eastern Hermanns tortoise is only around 5, this enclosure fits her perfectly right now. Might need to upgrade in a few years or so. It also took her about 2 days to get used to the ramp, now she goes up and down all the time. (PS. I have to put grip/ anti-slip tape on the ramp, the wood was too slippery)

Understood. I'm getting ready to build a 3 level tort complex. Planning the design.

obxdevilfin

Youngstown, Ohio
I don't see these kind of builds super often, but this is a 4x3, 2 level, Hermann's tortoise enclosure I finished yesterday. The total cost was about $100. Might give inspiration to someone who is thinking about a 2 level tortoise enclosure. The top level is latched on to the bottom so it lifts easily and the ramp is connected with a door hinge on the bottom of top level.

My Hermann's tortoise is around 5 years old. She is also about 6-7 inches.

All suggestions or critiques are welcomed. View attachment 281099View attachment 281100View attachment 281101
Nice build, waiting to see the finished project.