Bulb chsnge. Is this normal?

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
I've just put in new 12% T5 22" UB-V after using my old one for 6 months, So thought it was due to be replaced.
I noticed its turned black at each end if my old bulb?
Is this normal. Pictures attached

Attachments

• 20230330_122734.jpg
    20230330_122734.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230330_122727.jpg
    20230330_122727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230330_122714.jpg
    20230330_122714.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 1

cpl1307

Lancashire
Do you think this was a good sign it was due to be replaced? It's exactly 6 months old tmw

LJL1982

UK
Do you think this was a good sign it was due to be replaced? It's exactly 6 months old tmw
A good sign would be a solarmeter checking the actual amount of UVB still being produced, but Arcadia in the UK advise replacing bulbs at least every 8 months which although could be well ahead in reality of when the bulb actually needs replacing could be due to other factors they have tested such as damage to components/degradation caused by light or other, safety in use over extended months, or simply because they want to sell more bulbs.

You could write to them to ask because their parent company is very responsive, however if you are looking at best option for your tortoise, then it's to replace within their guidance.

cpl1307

Lancashire
A good sign would be a solarmeter checking the actual amount of UVB still being produced, but Arcadia in the UK advise replacing bulbs at least every 8 months which although could be well ahead in reality of when the bulb actually needs replacing could be due to other factors they have tested such as damage to components/degradation caused by light or other, safety in use over extended months, or simply because they want to sell more bulbs.

You could write to them to ask because their parent company is very responsive, however if you are looking at best option for your tortoise, then it's to replace within their guidance.
Do you know I might write them. I don't think a 6 month old bulb should turn black at each end. I would use a meter, but I really couldn't afford one. It cost 300 for the setup with the Viv and 149 for Toby himself and this week since joining this forum I have had to buy all new equipment and accessories. I feel guilty enough that he's gone all that time with a 40w red heat lamp bulb, which I've just found out is a big no! Hemp bedding- no. Large ramp water dish- HUGE NO. I've bee running both my uvb strip and red bulb for 10 hours a day. Then I was told on here just to put the Uvb strip on for only 3-6 hours max. Even the tortoise centre said I should feed him a banana or fruit once a month, not knowing how bad this is. When they sell you everything they sound like complete expert's! How many people just keep doing what I've been doing since November, not knowing any different. It's cruel to both the new tortoise and their new owners!! 😟

Attachments

• 20230330_122714.jpg
    20230330_122714.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230330_122727.jpg
    20230330_122727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230330_122734.jpg
    20230330_122734.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

cpl1307

Lancashire
The darkening of the ends is totally normal.
Thanks Tom. I'm gonna save the new bulb as you suggested. Did you say uvb bulb on for 3-6 hours a day and floodlight uva on 8? I tried to find your message with it on the forum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I'm gonna save the new bulb as you suggested. Did you say uvb bulb on for 3-6 hours a day and floodlight uva on 8? I tried to find your message with it on the forum.
UV bulb on for 3-6 hours is more than enough. I usually go 2-3 hours in warm weather, and 4-6 over winter for non-brumating species.

Basking bulb AND ambient lighting need to be on for a minimum of 12 hours every day, unless it is fall and you are gradually shortening the light cycle in preparation for brumation.

Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.

cpl1307

Lancashire
UV bulb on for 3-6 hours is more than enough. I usually go 2-3 hours in warm weather, and 4-6 over winter for non-brumating species.

Basking bulb AND ambient lighting need to be on for a minimum of 12 hours every day, unless it is fall and you are gradually shortening the light cycle in preparation for brumation.

Here is a breakdown of the four heating and lighting essentials:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. In most cases you'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night. Some people in colder climates or with larger enclosures will need multiple CHEs or RHPs to spread out enough heat.
  3. Ambient light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in LED bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In colder climates, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html A good UV bulb only needs to run for 2-3 hours mid day. You need the basking bulb and the ambient lighting to be on at least 12 hours a day.
I've got a 60w uva floodlight and the arcadia 12%. Mine is 22" so 24w. I have a heat matt, which goes along side the hide she sleeps in, but not close enough fir her to touch it, but to be honest the room she is in, is the warmest in the house so sometimes I don't put it on unless it's gonna be a cold night. It never drops below 18c. I knew nothing about ambient lighting until now. I will start looking. Her viv is just under 4ft. I've already got her a secure outdoor enclosure. Dug her hole 30cm roughly and partly filled it back in so she can dig her own. We have a massive green garden, but it's the magpies I don't trust, but it's ridiculously secure! I'm taking no chances

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got a 60w uva floodlight and the arcadia 12%. Mine is 22" so 24w. I have a heat matt, which goes along side the hide she sleeps in, but not close enough fir her to touch it, but to be honest the room she is in, is the warmest in the house so sometimes I don't put it on unless it's gonna be a cold night. It never drops below 18c. I knew nothing about ambient lighting until now. I will start looking. Her viv is just under 4ft. I've already got her a secure outdoor enclosure. Dug her hole 30cm roughly and partly filled it back in so she can dig her own. We have a massive green garden, but it's the magpies I don't trust, but it's ridiculously secure! I'm taking no chances
Russian tortoises don't dig burrows like a sulcata or a gopher tortoise. Russians dig down into the dirt much like a stingray or halibut in sand. They will shimmy down as much as 18 inches, but in my experience, 4-6 inches deep is normal for them. Sort of depends on the situation. If they are digging in to escape a hot summer day, they might only go down a few inches. If they are digging in for a long cold winter to brumate, they will usually go much deeper.

Having said that, Russians will readily use existing burrows to escape the mid day sun in a hot climate. I doubt you would ever need that in your climate, but it will be fun to see if he uses it or not.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Russian tortoises don't dig burrows like a sulcata or a gopher tortoise. Russians dig down into the dirt much like a stingray or halibut in sand. They will shimmy down as much as 18 inches, but in my experience, 4-6 inches deep is normal for them. Sort of depends on the situation. If they are digging in to escape a hot summer day, they might only go down a few inches. If they are digging in for a long cold winter to brumate, they will usually go much deeper.

Having said that, Russians will readily use existing burrows to escape the mid day sun in a hot climate. I doubt you would ever need that in your climate, but it will be fun to see if he uses it or not.
Why had she got such long nails? They are pristine, but saying that she has now decided to burrow in-between 2 hollow logs and made it really comfortable after all my effort making her hide a home 😄. No matter how many times I produce a hide, she just always makes her own. There's alot of room behind them habitat bark to be fair, but as soon as I set her heat matt up on the side she usually sleeps, she finds a new bed

Attachments

• 20230330_191109.jpg
    20230330_191109.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230330_191121.jpg
    20230330_191121.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 3

LJL1982

UK
Do you know I might write them. I don't think a 6 month old bulb should turn black at each end. I would use a meter, but I really couldn't afford one. It cost 300 for the setup with the Viv and 149 for Toby himself and this week since joining this forum I have had to buy all new equipment and accessories. I feel guilty enough that he's gone all that time with a 40w red heat lamp bulb, which I've just found out is a big no! Hemp bedding- no. Large ramp water dish- HUGE NO. I've bee running both my uvb strip and red bulb for 10 hours a day. Then I was told on here just to put the Uvb strip on for only 3-6 hours max. Even the tortoise centre said I should feed him a banana or fruit once a month, not knowing how bad this is. When they sell you everything they sound like complete expert's! How many people just keep doing what I've been doing since November, not knowing any different. It's cruel to both the new tortoise and their new owners!! 😟
You have got straight on sorting out your torts environment and they are lucky to have you!! It's one of the reason I don't agree with tortoises being kept as pets in the UK. Too many "reputable" brands selling surplus product from our forestry industry to inexperienced keepers as substrates because it makes profit, regardless of whether its suitable. Pet shops and to an extent veterinarians, are generic and do not have up to date information on Tortoises.

The environment in the UK especially in the North makes keeping tortoises who need significant amounts of space virtually impossible to keep outside year round...necessitating sacrifice of whole spare rooms, and result in huge levels of rehoming when small UK homes can't free up the 4ft x 8ft enclosure size an adult tortoise needs.

And yes...the equipment and set up is far from cheap. Frustratingly turnover of equipment is also slow. I have attempted to purchase bulbs in Pets at Home in 2022 that were dated 2016 manufacture. Exoterra's parent RC Hagen have confirmed that manufacturer won't affect longevity, however they also stated manufacturing techniques have changed slightly across the period and the older bulb may be less efficient...before I've even turned it on!!