Bulging eyed baby turtle

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I have tortoises and know nothing about turtles, so I decided to ask the experts. My friend found this sweet little baby with terribly bulging eyes. She has soaked him in Pedialyte, put him on a warmer, etc. is there something else that she can do for him? She is doing eye drops also. Please help!
Thanks!ImageUploadedByTortForum1397087065.421707.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Oh my god! Something out of a horror movie, for sure. I have no advice, sorry!

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Please check out this page hopefully it has some helpful information regarding the bulging eyes

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/turteyedisart.htm

Any turtle with eye infection or swelling will need to be examined by a vet because confirming and treating these problems is beyond the ability of the average hobbyist. The vet will examine the Harderian glands for signs of swelling. If this is found, it is a good indicator that the immediate problem is Vitamin A deficiency (hypovitaminosis A) cause by a poor diet. In this case, the vet will give the turtle an immediate injection of Vitamin A to stabilise the condition, and then provide the pet owner with advice on how to improve the diet so that the turtle will recover.

Swollen eyelids can also be caused by a bacterial infection such as a respiratory tract infection, trapped sand or silt under the eyelid, physical trauma, or a variety of other problems. A vet familiar with reptiles will consider all these options and will check for them in turn, but a vet less familiar with reptiles might not. If in doubt, mention the alternatives to the vet, of only as a reminder!

Bacterial infections of the eye will be confirmed by sampling the mucous around the eyes using swabs. Once the precise infection is diagnosed, the vet will then prescribe suitable antibiotics, typically administered by an intramuscular injection.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you take it to the vet please let us know the outcome . Good luck hope everything works out for this little dude .

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hi everyone! I have tortoises and know nothing about turtles, so I decided to ask the experts. My friend found this sweet little baby with terribly bulging eyes. She has soaked him in Pedialyte, put him on a warmer, etc. is there something else that she can do for him? She is doing eye drops also. Please help!
Thanks!View attachment 75791

Any update on your baby?