bull frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindy

10 Year Member!
does anyone know how to get rid of bullfrogs? they are huge and lots of them in the pond. I was wanting to get some turtles for the pond but not sure if the bull frogs can eat them? if i find some that are 5inchs or bigger would they be big enough not to get eaten. I am hopin the turtles will eat some of the tadpoles so eventually there will be less bullfrogs. There is plenty on little fish in the pond.
Its actually preety big probably a half acre and 10 feet deep at the deepest. would a turtle do fine in there? I can feed them if there isnt anough food, but there are lots of worms, greens, dragonflies,tadpoles and minnows

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I occasionally have a frog or two in my pond, but eventually they disappear and I've never seen polywogs. My pond contains three Florida soft shells, a Phrynops hillari, 6 fem RES, 8 Actinemys marmorata, tons of mosquito fish and a few "pet" feeder goldfish that are about a foot long! So it is my GUESS that the larger turtles eat the frogs and polywogs.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I assume that you are speaking of native turtles. Larger (5" and above) would be fine with bullfrogs, anything smaller would be eaten (I have fed bullfrogs on adult mice and small rats and seen movies of them catching and eating english sparrows). The only way to get rid of bullfrogs is drain the pond and they will move on until you refill and then they are back. I think your best bet is let the pond go natural and enjoy. The bullfrogs are probably the major (apex) predator in ponds of this size. There are number of predators on the tadpoles including turtles. The predators on bullfrogs will be larger animals such as coons, raptors, and herons.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I accidentally flattened one with my 15-passenger van the other day. Oops.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
cvalda said:
I accidentally flattened one with my 15-passenger van the other day. Oops.
Is the van ok?:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have lots of frogs in my pond. They eat the mosquitos. (we have plenty of those) The turtles eat most of the tad poles....some make it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.