Burmese Brown Baby

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
You should be doing his soaks in a container he cannot climb out of, but it is good for him to try. The physical movement (like a human treadmill) usually helps them poop & pee, as well as giving the ones sleeping all day some exercise which they need to digest their foods. Soaks for the young should be 20-30 minutes in luke warm water daily, keeping the water warm throughout the soak.

The added benefit for having them poop & pee in their soaks is less cleanup for you in their enclosure. It gives you a chance to see if they're drinking water in their soaks or have visible urates in their pee. Urates can be a symptom of under-hydration.
Great advice, but a quick note that this species rarely if ever produces visible urates. Manouria Emys are common here, and I'm in various Facebook and WhatsApp groups for species with hundreds of owners. Only once did someone post something which looked like urates and I think we determined it was probably something else.

Houston
Long fibered peat moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction. The dirt-style peat moss can burn their carapace. If your plantation soil is coco coir, then it is safe, but messy.

Cypress mulch works. Fine grade orchis bark is best.
Where do I get the moss, the mulch or the bark? Can I get that stuff at Home Depot? Which is which and what should I get?

Houston
You should be doing his soaks in a container he cannot climb out of, but it is good for him to try. The physical movement (like a human treadmill) usually helps them poop & pee, as well as giving the ones sleeping all day some exercise which they need to digest their foods. Soaks for the young should be 20-30 minutes in luke warm water daily, keeping the water warm throughout the soak.

The added benefit for having them poop & pee in their soaks is less cleanup for you in their enclosure. It gives you a chance to see if they're drinking water in their soaks or have visible urates in their pee. Urates can be a symptom of under-hydration.
What are urates?

Houston
is peat moss OK for substrate for my Burmese Brown baby? Is Sphagnum peat moss the right stuff? I think Home Depot has it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
is peat moss OK for substrate for my Burmese Brown baby? Is Sphagnum peat moss the right stuff? I think Home Depot has it.
Post number 6 in this thread:
Long fibered peat moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction. The dirt-style peat moss can burn their carapace. If your plantation soil is coco coir, then it is safe, but messy.

Where do I get the moss, the mulch or the bark? Can I get that stuff at Home Depot? Which is which and what should I get?
Cypress mulch can sometimes be found in bulk at places like Home Depot, but make sure it is plain cypress mulch with no colors or additives. Read the ingredients list on the back of the bag.

Orchid bark can sometimes be found in bulk at local plant nurseries. You may need to ask for it or special order it. Again, be sure it is plain fir bark, the right size (fine grade), with no additives. You can also order it online from Chewy.com or Petco.com in 24 quart bags and its called "Repti-bark".

Coco coir blocks can also be found at nurseries if you want to go that way. If you do, use a thick layer and hand pack it firmly.

Houston
Post number 6 in this thread:

Cypress mulch can sometimes be found in bulk at places like Home Depot, but make sure it is plain cypress mulch with no colors or additives. Read the ingredients list on the back of the bag.

Orchid bark can sometimes be found in bulk at local plant nurseries. You may need to ask for it or special order it. Again, be sure it is plain fir bark, the right size (fine grade), with no additives. You can also order it online from Chewy.com or Petco.com in 24 quart bags and its called "Repti-bark".

Coco coir blocks can also be found at nurseries if you want to go that way. If you do, use a thick layer and hand pack it firmly.
what about the peat moss I mentioned? I'd like to know the best option, whatever it is. Too many options makes it hard. If I can get something locally at home depot, that's what i want to do. Is the Spaghnam Peat moss ok?? This is the stuff that makes their "hide" wet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what about the peat moss I mentioned? I'd like to know the best option, whatever it is. Too many options makes it hard. If I can get something locally at home depot, that's what i want to do. Is the Spaghnam Peat moss ok?? This is the stuff that makes their "hide" wet?
Diane, I answered this question in post 6, and then copy/pasted it for you again this morning.

Moss is not safe. No kind of moss is safe.

Orchid bark is the best and safest substrate to use, and it is usually not available at Home Depot.

Houston
Diane, I answered this question in post 6, and then copy/pasted it for you again this morning.

Moss is not safe. No kind of moss is safe.

Orchid bark is the best and safest substrate to use, and it is usually not available at Home Depot.
I need to get off of this forum. So many conflicting answers. On everything. Thanks everyone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I need to get off of this forum. So many conflicting answers. On everything. Thanks everyone.
Only one person on this thread said to use peat, and they retracted their answer after mine. Where are the conflicting answers? Everyone has unanimously told you that you need a bigger enclosure with proper heating and lighting and the correct substrate.

Houston
Only one person on this thread said to use peat, and they retracted their answer after mine. Where are the conflicting answers? Everyone has unanimously told you that you need a bigger enclosure with proper heating and lighting and the correct substrate.
others say their tort is fine in a set up like mine. Kane folks told me $100 mat wont' work. Burmese Brown expert uses no heating outside for his adults, uses some sort of moss (trying to ask what kind), said dip baby in water but not like others describe here, no mention of lighting/tenting from him, etc.
It's all confusing. I think I just need to ask the BB guy and that's it. Not saying y'all's situations aren't working but I need to just ask 1 person and that's it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
others say their tort is fine in a set up like mine. Kane folks told me $100 mat wont' work. Burmese Brown expert uses no heating outside for his adults, uses some sort of moss (trying to ask what kind), said dip baby in water but not like others describe here, no mention of lighting/tenting from him, etc.
It's all confusing. I think I just need to ask the BB guy and that's it. Not saying y'all's situations aren't working but I need to just ask 1 person and that's it.
Heard and understood. It frustrates me that it is so difficult for a new keeper who wants to do the right thing to get good info. I wish you and your tortoise the best, and please feel free to come back and ask questions at any time. This bridge is not burned in any way.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Great advice, but a quick note that this species rarely if ever produces visible urates. Manouria Emys are common here, and I'm in various Facebook and WhatsApp groups for species with hundreds of owners. Only once did someone post something which looked like urates and I think we determined it was probably something else.
Thank you for that info.