Burmese brown mountain tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic species. Kinda delicate in the beginning, but well worth to have. Doesnt like alot of light. Needs alot of water. Humid erll covered conditions. The absolute best as adults. Very intelligent and personal.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If you go to the forum section "Species Specific" you'll see a section titled "Southeast Asian Tortoises." Tap there and you'll be in a great spot to learn all about them!

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
If you go to the forum section "Species Specific" you'll see a section titled "Southeast Asian Tortoises." Tap there and you'll be in a great spot to learn all about them!

Ok thank you!

tortadise said:
Fantastic species. Kinda delicate in the beginning, but well worth to have. Doesnt like alot of light. Needs alot of water. Humid erll covered conditions. The absolute best as adults. Very intelligent and personal.

Ok! So for the enclosure should i just have a uvb bulb and no other heat source?? If so how long should it be on?? What substrate keeps humity well? how much humidy (like percent) Sorry for so many questions i am just curious!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For them I would use a 2.0 tube bulb, and use lots of plants like pothos, alocasia, colocasia, to filter it out as well as good for them to eat. 80-85 degrees if perfect for them all around temp wise when little. Cypress mulch, hardwood mulch, orchid bark, eucalyptis mulch, coco coir, and pine needles are all good substrates. I would use a UVB bulb and some under tank heaters. They dont bask at all, and dont really like hot spots, so a heart bulb really isnt worth much to them. If you can get good ambient temps from heat pads under the enclosure then thats the best option. Lots of water, they like to soak.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
For them I would use a 2.0 tube bulb, and use lots of plants like pothos, alocasia, colocasia, to filter it out as well as good for them to eat. 80-85 degrees if perfect for them all around temp wise when little. Cypress mulch, hardwood mulch, orchid bark, eucalyptis mulch, coco coir, and pine needles are all good substrates. I would use a UVB bulb and some under tank heaters. They dont bask at all, and dont really like hot spots, so a heart bulb really isnt worth much to them. If you can get good ambient temps from heat pads under the enclosure then thats the best option. Lots of water, they like to soak.

Ok! Thanks Would a 5.0 uvb be bad? I cant find 2.0 where i live. So should i put the heat pad under the hide???How hot should the heat pad be set at?? Ok :) Should i keep a shallow dish in there and soak it every day?? Sorry again for all the questions!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
No its ok, ask all you want. A 5.0 will work just fine. Umm not sure on setting the heat pad. Im use to the ones that dont regulate. I suppose you could just play with it. I would put it under the middle to try and give an equal balance of temperature through out the tank. What are you going to use to put him in? A tub or aquarium?

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
No its ok, ask all you want. A 5.0 will work just fine. Umm not sure on setting the heat pad. Im use to the ones that dont regulate. I suppose you could just play with it. I would put it under the middle to try and give an equal balance of temperature through out the tank. What are you going to use to put him in? A tub or aquarium?

Ok awesome! Ok ill see what the ZooMed one is :) Im thinking an aquarium untill he is large enough to got outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.