Burmese Star Baby - Thriving in a Humid Enclosure

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I honestly can't tell yet. That shape is right in the middle. The tail doesn't look that big, and that doesn't look like a penis in the pic, so this could be a prolapsing female. I know you care for your tortoise very well, and I'm sure they are well hydrated, so I would expect this, but it can happen.

@Markw84 knows this species well too. Let's see what he thinks.
It’s the first time it prolapsed like this. It went right back in and maybe just a little upset with me flipping him/her around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s the first time it prolapsed like this. It went right back in and maybe just a little upset with me flipping him/her around.
Did more than that come out? Did you see something that looked like a big purple mushroom? Or just what is in the pic?

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
All I
Did more than that come out? Did you see something that looked like a big purple mushroom? Or just what is in the pic?

No mushroom, only what you see and it went right back in. He/she has never done this before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All I

No mushroom, only what you see and it went right back in. He/she has never done this before.
Still pooping normally? No urates? How often are you soaking now? What are you feeding him/her?

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Still pooping normally? No urates? How often are you soaking now? What are you feeding him/her?
I continue to soak daily and no urates. Poops have remained normal and very active. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Feeding dandelion greens, kale, green leaf and Mazuri original. Rainbow has really been going at the Cuttle Bone lately.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is still a bit small to be able to tell for sure. The tail sure looks female. I also know some female radiata will "flash" their stuff, and it looks like I see in your picture. Don't know why it couldn't / wouldn't happen with other species, but radiata are the only ones I know of for certain. Is it just the lighting in the last picture, or is the plastron developing some concavity? I think it needs to be a little large before well know for sure.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
That is still a bit small to be able to tell for sure. The tail sure looks female. I also know some female radiata will "flash" their stuff, and it looks like I see in your picture. Don't know why it couldn't / wouldn't happen with other species, but radiata are the only ones I know of for certain. Is it just the lighting in the last picture, or is the plastron developing some concavity? I think it needs to be a little large before well know for sure.
There is some very slight concavity. I guess we’ll see how it develops over the coming months. I appreciate the replies and information.

Reactions: Tom

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
4.25" and 550grams. Rainbow enjoying his/her outdoor enclosure. This is temporary and I'm building a large permanent enclosure with a heated night box for two. Making a big enough outdoor divided pen, so I can get a Leopard or MEE/MEP.

IMG_2946.jpg

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL

It's been 2 1/2 months now and how things change. Just passed 600 grams and I think we got a boy! Plastron is a bit concave as well.
imageedit_8_6949919940.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah... That's a boy. I hope I hear back from some other buyers to get a better feel for what the male to female ratio is. I incubated these at 87-88. I still have a couple from this batch, and they are both looking female so far.

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Yeah... That's a boy. I hope I hear back from some other buyers to get a better feel for what the male to female ratio is. I incubated these at 87-88. I still have a couple from this batch, and they are both looking female so far.

Our tortoise has the best personality and we couldn't be happier. Very outgoing and curious. Loves head scratches.

I will be looking for another tortoise in the future. Leaning toward Pardalis Pardalis Leopard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our tortoise has the best personality and we couldn't be happier. Very outgoing and curious. Loves head scratches.

I will be looking for another tortoise in the future. Leaning toward Pardalis Pardalis Leopard.
I've got you covered when the time comes. I've already got five clutches in the works for this season. First batch due to go into the cooler for a couple of months in the next few days. Should hatch around January.