Burmese Star Winter Housing Questions

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
I do agree the PVC sheets seem the way to go. However, I must add that If done correctly, plywood construction is extremely long lasting.

Is this expanded PVC or regular PVC? I’m in the process of trying to get an indoor enclosure custom built and have been focusing on expanded PVC (Sinatra) as the material of choice. Just want to confirm that I’m headed in the right direction, material wise.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
In regards to indoor nesting tub depth. My radiata need a full 12" at minimum. The bowsprits only dig down 3 or 4". If the nesting substrate has some moisture to it and the tortoises can dig without the back end of the shell migrating down into the hole, thereby effectively making it deeper, 6" would be deep enough for my bowsprits. Seems like the platynota need more.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
In regards to indoor nesting tub depth. My radiata need a full 12" at minimum. The bowsprits only dig down 3 or 4". If the nesting substrate has some moisture to it and the tortoises can dig without the back end of the shell migrating down into the hole, thereby effectively making it deeper, 6" would be deep enough for my bowsprits. Seems like the platynota need more.

Thanks for the nesting info.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the nesting info.
As Mark said above, a large female platynota can dig a 10" to 12" deep nest (very nearly as deep as that of a female Radiated Tortoise). If you want to be on the safe side, you should make the nesting areas for platynota 12" deep and even a bit more if you have the room to do so.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Is this expanded PVC or regular PVC? I’m in the process of trying to get an indoor enclosure custom built and have been focusing on expanded PVC (Sinatra) as the material of choice. Just want to confirm that I’m headed in the right direction, material wise.
Yes. Expanded PVC.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
I looked into adding 8”-12” in height to the t70 and it added almost $300 to the price making it I think just $45 less than the much larger T100. I am am now pondering getting a t70 for the males and the 8x4x4 for the females. That would definitely have enough height to Have a deep nesting area. But, would be probably a lot more convenient at 3.5’. Otherwise eventually adding another cage to the stack will be tight.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
I checked and reducing the height of the cage will not incur any added fees. So, now I am trying to decide if just having a super deep mulch on one side and soil on the other side is more reasonable than building a frame and putting holes for tubs.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Well, I just placed an order for a T-100 shortened to 42” tall so 8’x4’x42” with a 15” litter dam to allow for 12” of mulch/soil. And, I also ordered two T-70s 8’x3’x24” with a 6” litter dam. I have yet to add on any lighting or heating features as it is a lot to get figured out and I have 4-5 months to wait anyway. So, if you have heating/lighting tips I would love to hear them. I am thinking radiant heat panels at least in the two shorter enclosures.

mrnewberry

5 Year Member
N.W. Arkansas
Right now I am leaning towards for each cage: two V.E. 120w Radiant heat panels, two incandescent sockets for flood lights, two 2’ white led grow lights, and one 46” T5 UVB. I am also considering swapping out the radiant heat panels for a couple more incandescent sockets for CHEs in the one taller/larger cage 96”x48”x42” I think it would be tall enough and I could easily scale up the number of CHEs if needed. I think the smaller 96”x36”x24” would likely be too short for CHEs.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Here's a build for a 1500 gallon plywood fish tank