Burmese Stars Getting Increased Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

B*TorT10

5 Year Member
The 16th meeting of the Conference of the Parties in Bangkok,Thailand March 3-14 2013. "In order to conserve and protect turtle species in Asia, the United States has joined with China and Viet Nam to propose increased CITES protection for a number of Asian softshell and hardshell turtle species. These proposals include new additions to the Appendices, as well as “uplisting” species from Appendix II to Appendix I. There is a proposal to transfer the Burmese star tortoise (Geochelone platynota): from Appendix II to Appendix I. Here is the link that gives more details. http://www.fws.gov/international/cites/cop16/turtles-and-tortoises.html Everyone that is trying to see that this tortoise survives keep up the good fight.:tort:

KenS

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
It's about time!! I can't believe it took this long to begin with! One the the RAREST tortoises in the world and just about no wild populations left!!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Finally!!! Unfortunately, too little too late. This species has been essentially wiped out in the wild.

The only hope is that this increased awareness might light the fire and get some good reintroduction programs started.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Agreed on all accounts. TSA is making good progress on myanmar towards education and progress on this species in its homeland. Fortunately the mountain "type" of this species isnt near the threat of the lowland bush type. All in all this species is far beyond the need of this protection, and long over due. Now, that said. We still need to help them progress forward in native lands and not just assume the given title of CITES 1 WILL magically progress the assurance of future survival. Its a great step forward long due. Lets hope this title endures a more pronounce end to collection, and threat.

paludarium

10 Year Member!
Taiwan
Well, the Burmese stars have been bred in the farms and been sold to the tortoises keepers/freaks for a long time. I don't believe that uplisting from Appendix II to Appendix I will stop trading Burmese stars, at least in Asia. But the costs for Burmese stars are expected to be more expensive in the near future.

Burmese stars are virtually extinct in the wild, and actually the reintroduction of captive-bred individuals also failed at least twice in Myanmar. It is hard to restrain the poachers and the black markets always exist, especially when the price rises. Tortoises are much smaller than rhinos or elephants, easy to collect and transport.

Let the farms keep breeding the Burmese stars and sell the tortoises. The farms will definitely do their best to protect their property(Burmese stars). It would be one of the ways to help Burmese stars survive, although not the best way.

Reactions: Dan
Status
Not open for further replies.