Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What is this please?
1217exe.jpg

9fwdpd.jpg

chadk

10 Year Member!
I think you are right. It is definately a bush :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Just here to help :)

Does it get any berries or ther fuit, flowering, etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
chadk said:
Just here to help :)

Does it get any berries or ther fuit, flowering, etc?

Yes, on both, but I don't have any pics. I'll get pics when it flowers in a few weeks.

Laijla

5 Year Member
Not 100% sure but it looks like an Abelia (× grandiflora ?)... from the habit and shape of the leaves... usually the flowers will be little clusters of white, whitish-pink or soft pink variations. There are many varieties. Yes, take some pictures of the blooms in the weeks ahead :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laijla said:
Not 100% sure but it looks like an Abelia (× grandiflora ?)... from the habit and shape of the leaves... usually the flowers will be little clusters of white, whitish-pink or soft pink variations. There are many varieties. Yes, take some pictures of the blooms in the weeks ahead :)

Thank you. I did a google search and that looks like my shrub. Anyone know if its toxic/edible?

Laijla

5 Year Member
Says its non toxic and actually was listed as edible in another thread by Crazy1 on 1-27-09. 'Food for desert dwelling type of Torts-DT, Marginated, Greeks, Russians, Sullys, etc'
Not 100% sure how nutritious they are but thinking back I know its a plant deer would eat when i lived in the deep south...

Tom said:
Laijla said:

Thank you. I did a google search and that looks like my shrub. Anyone know if its toxic/edible?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laijla said:
Says its non toxic and actually was listed as edible in another thread by Crazy1 on 1-27-09. 'Food for desert dwelling type of Torts-DT, Marginated, Greeks, Russians, Sullys, etc'
Not 100% sure how nutritious they are but thinking back I know its a plant deer would eat when i lived in the deep south...

Tom said:
Laijla said:

Where have you been? I like you. Thanks for the help and since I didn't see your introduction on the forum, WELCOME!​

Laijla

5 Year Member
HA! Thanks for the kind response! I worked as an asst. horticulturist for the University of GA for many years and worked in the nursery field a total of 19 years... so I do like plants! :)
I had a WC male redfoot my mom bought at the Pomona Fair in 1969. We lived in Southern CA, Nebraska, Iowa and Maryland before we lost him to a hard frost in 1987 :( I was heartbroken because we had gotten him when I was a baby and I never remembered a time there was not a tortoise around... well, 23 years later I just got a new baby rf (4 months ago) and I'm not doing so hot... My small havanese dog managed to get into his enclosure. The dog wanted the cuttlebone but not before he left 5 puncture wounds in the baby. 'Jet' is eating and recovering well it seems(been to the reptile vet many times for checkups). The last two/three weeks have been beautiful with 70+ degree temps and he had been getting his fill of red clover and confederate violets... he ate 2 earthworms too! (I think he is 7-8 months old)
If you have plant questions send them my way and I'll always try and help out! Pretty nerdy of me, but I'm attempting to collect plants and seed native to Guyana, French Guyana and Surinam that I am familiar enough with to grow well for his enclosure. He's a rather 'plain Jane' northern color patter so I figured plants from these regions would be ideal :) It will be work in progress...
Cheers!

Tom said:
Laijla said:

Tom said:
Laijla said:

Where have you been? I like you. Thanks for the help and since I didn't see your introduction on the forum, WELCOME!​

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ooo Laijla, I'm glad you joined! We need someone to ID our plants! You will be greatly appreciated here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.