Busy Tortoise Owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, Florida
Hey y'all :D it seems as if I'm posting more topics than I reply to nowadays :p !
Anyways, I have quite a long story to tell and it's partly a rant and partly a question. So bare with me, will you?

I've been busy with school for the past couple of days, so busy that in fact my tortoise has been neglected and I've been feeling horrible about it. Him and I have a strong bond that is unable to be broken! I love my :tort: with all my heart and the last thing in the world that I want is for my tortoise to be upset.
Anyways, I left my tortoise in the trusted care of my mother, who also is very fond of the little guy. He's been acting like his usual self, except he's picked up the habit of biting us quite hard. (Whenever we hand-feed him he throws in a couple of bites that last about 2 seconds. I don't think anything of it, if anything he's just a really hungry fella!) But ever since I left him in my ma's care, he's been . . . different.

I gave him a bath today cuz HECK, I don't like anyone giving my tort a bath but me! :p I noticed that he's been shedding quite a lot (which I know is fine), but, he's shedding . . . on his MOUTH. And not just tiny flakes, they're about the size of my thumb nail or so. Also, my ma made a mistake and gave the poor guy too much calcium. He practically seemed to be choking when I saw him! When I got him in his soak, he was dozing water like he'd never seen it before. I felt so bad for him, he seemed so sad . . . but he was glad to see me, which was good. :D I just want him happy, ya know?

So what do you think, of the shedding and calcium? Any suggestions? I get busy a real lot, so, I need some help. Thanks!

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm supper attached to mine too and feel guilty when I have a long shift at work :(
For the shedding I would just be doing extra soaks to loosen the skin that's peeling, just let it come off naturally as tempting as it is to help get it off.
I don't think there's much you can do about the calcium now but I could be totally wrong!
Just make sure his water is always there and topped up incase it has made him extra thirsty and I would imagine the extra soaks would help.

leash_wish

5 Year Member
When I am home I keep my tort with me whenever I can. I had a lot of computer work so I let him run around my desk. When I watch tv he is sleeping on me or on a pillow beside me. Just little things can keep him close.

www.aliciawishart.com

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a suggestion: Keep your fingers away from his mouth.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I have a suggestion: Keep your fingers away from his mouth.

I read the original post earlier and thought this.... Them I read your post and spit milk all over my iPad.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
The only time I've been bit it was my fault for not paying attention. :)
It sounds to me like you have the best intentions and your tort is a lucky critter, getting so much love!

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
My russian tortoise bella sheds a lot just like how you said, but I don't think thats a problem

I have never been bitten by bella tortoise, the only time that I have ever been bitten was by a six inch snapping turtle that I named tank and then It was only my shoe that he bit!

Status
Not open for further replies.