Butternut squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello All

I put some pieces of butternut squash in the freezer 2 months ago, I wanted to give some to Hermy, How long can I keep butternut squash in the freezer and it will still be good?

Thanks

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I believe about a year.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Wow, I had no idea that you could keep butternut squash in the freezer for a year and have it still be good to serve; xllnt question & great answer!

Purpod

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Isa, butternut squash will stay good if you keep it in a cool, dry place for a really long time. I have one that I have had for a couple of months and it is still good. Even when I cut into them and keep them in the fridge, they keep forever!!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
So is it best to put it whole in the freezer, cut up fresh, cut up cooked? We went to a local farm and picked some fresh squash of all sorts. It was so fun to wander out in the field, peeking through the plants to find that "perfect" looking vegi! But in the excitement we came home with about 15 squash, when we really only intended to buy about 3. If freezing is a possibility too we will try it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Freezing is what I did. I cut them up and put them in freezer bags. I grew a bunch of squash this year. You can freeze pumpkin too. cut it up, remove the seeds and freeze. It will thaw a bit soft, but they dont care.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I peel & de-seed the butternut squash and the pumpkin, and steam it for about 2 or 3 minutes, then freeze it in baggies. Summer & zuccini squash don't need to be peeled or de-seeded. Just cut them in slices about 3/4", steam a couple minutes, & freeze. They will be full of great moisture when thawed. All can be frozen for a year.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.