Butting the wall

Colin =D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi guys I have 2 spur thighs ( m and f) the female keeps butting the wall always on the same side and we can't stop her she might do it 3 times a day for 5 minutes each bout. tried covering that area with ornaments but she moves them and gets back to work. anybody know why and how to stop it altogether ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It may be that she's 'digging' in that spot and it just looks to you as if she's butting the wall. Tortoises dig to rearrange their 'burrow' quite a lot. My Dudley - 110lbs sulcata - digs in his shelter on a regular basis. His shelter has a thick rubber mat on the floor, so his digging doesn't get him anyplace, but none-the-less, he gets in there and digs all the time.

You might provide a thicker substrate for the tortoise to dig into. She may be trying to cover herself in order to hide from the male. Pairs hardly ever work out. The male pesters the female all the time and she tries to get away from him all the time. This may be what's going on here.

Colin =D

5 Year Member
Ireland
Hi guys thanks for getting back to me, there enclosure is 4foot by 2foot and has 4 inches deep topsoil terrain, there out regularly and were currently working on an extension of sorts (modified rabbit hutch) the tempeture is 23-24 degrees, so she's 5.5 inches and he's 4 inches both around the five year mark and unrelated. i hope thats enough info can't wait to hear any suggestions.

you guys are the best

Colin