Buy or Build a light fixture.

DanB

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I want to update my enclosure lighting. The room it is in is a nook off the stairs that has no light on the ceiling. Right now I have two clip on dome lights, one white light, one UVB. A clip on LED plant light,and a small lamp.

I want to hang a light down from the ceiling to provide ample white light for viewing so that will leave me with the UVB dome and LED clip on.

Now what I'm trying to decide is this,

Get a shop light to hang down and have one white light and one UVB bulb.
or
Build a light fixture to match the enclosure and put my own lights in it. I can make one that can hold 4 CFL's to have both white and UVB.

Anyone here have an option for this?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm trying to mentally picture your setup and location. Personally, if I can build it myself, I will. If you can get something already built that is cheaper and easier than doing it yourself, then by all means....

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How high is ceiling? If just for ambient lighting, I'd just mount a light to ceiling. I dont like lights hanging from ceiling. I've used lights like this in past. Very bright.

If you want it closer to enclosure, I'd build up from enclosure vs hanging from ceiling. Make a 'shelf' with a cove underneath to hold strip lights. Because of length, I'd go with something linear instead of normal bulbs.