Buying a tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudy109

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I'm Claudia I'm sorta new here ^_^
i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on buying a tortoise? I live in the uk (the weather is really horrid here) and and I was thinking about a Russian??? My friend has two hermans and my other friend has a snapper (evil thing, it tried to bite my finger off) and when my dad was little he had a tort (still not sure of the type) until it escaped his garden....
So yeh what species would you recommend?

Thanks ^_^
Claudia

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

I would recommend Russians, Greeks or redfoots for beginners. I personally like Russians because they stay on the smaller side (Usually not over eight inches) and don't require as much space as the larger species. A indoor cage of 3 x 4 should work for the average sized adult Russian, but get them outside as much as possible.

Usually Russians are little pigs, they'll eat pretty much any kind of plant you offer. Some good plants to feed are: chickory, dandelion greens, spring mix, various lettuces, mazuri, zoo mode tortoise diet, zucchini, roses (Only ones with pesticides used on them) and so much more.

You're going to need a UVB light and shear light. You can put decorations I he cage but keep in mind, Russians love to dig do they may topple over plants and such.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Claudia!

Steppe (Russian) tortoises do well in your part of the world and can withstand cooler temps than most other tortoises.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to the forum . I also would recommend a Russian. But then I'm shamelessly enamored of my Russians so I'm very biased.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) I also recommend a Russian tortoise :)

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I agree with the others about the Russian. They are little tanks had have great personalities!
Also....Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.