Buying for Enclosure. Tort Arrives Next Week. Help!

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi All,

My little Western Hermann’s is going to arrive from Chris next week. I still need advice/help on lighting and heating products to buy. I’ve been researching for a while, and already bought some products, but I still have questions.

His first enclosure is 37” x 21”, but I have the classic Christmas tree bin for him to grow into.

1. Do I need UVB lamps to fit the long or short side? I’ve been looking for a while but find few options for 36” lamps or fixtures and never at the same time. 24” lamps are far readily available but are the sufficient?

2. Do I need a certain wattage of UVB or basking lamp? Is CHE a good option?

3. Are LED lights good? I’d prefer them if so. Any recommendations?

4. I don’t understand about thermostats. Do they regulate the UVB, basking, both at the same time for the same device? Do they have timers built in to turn off at night and on in morning? Is a timer something I need to buy?

5. What brand fixtures and bulbs do you buy for the UVB, basking, CHE, or LEDs?

Thanks!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
This care sheet should tell you everything you need, good luck!

Agathaade

Los Angeles
The best advice I got on here was from someone who encouraged me not to just buy things and wait for the tortoise but to set everything up, damp substrate, lights, water dish and all - and start measuring my temperatures and humidity as early as possible so I can tweak and adjust before the tort gets there.

I went from using a 75W basking light to 45W for example. The wattage of your basking light is dependent on the ambient temp of your room (I anticipate to switch back to the 75W in the winter). Alternatively you can use a dimmer and/or switch the height of the bulb in relation to the basking area. That takes some tweaking and observation.
Same goes for CHEs if you use those. You can get a few different wattages so you can test out which works best and save the others for a different season, or dimmer.

I decided to forgo the UV as long I can take my tort outside for UV.
(If I can’t let the tort out at any point, I’ll install a 24” strip. I have a UVmeter from previous reptile owners ready to go to set it at the correct height and check it’s still emitting UV after a few months).
Instead I use a smart frosted LED bulb that is programmed to provide daytime cool white light only (no LED UVs).

I use a Govee thermometer/hygrometer so I got a the smart LED lightbulb from that brand too. I control and check those from an app on my phone.
My basking light is on a separate timer.
I have my Govee thermometer/hygrometer stationed inside the chamber and a temp gun for measuring the basking temp. I recommend getting one of those bc when your tortoise is in there you want to be able to take the temp any time with her inside, and on their shell too.

I know you’re on a tight timeline but try to give yourself a few days to test everything out and tweak!

Quixx66

Louisiana
The best advice I got on here was from someone who encouraged me not to just buy things and wait for the tortoise but to set everything up, damp substrate, lights, water dish and all - and start measuring my temperatures and humidity as early as possible so I can tweak and adjust before the tort gets there.

I went from using a 75W basking light to 45W for example. The wattage of your basking light is dependent on the ambient temp of your room (I anticipate to switch back to the 75W in the winter). Alternatively you can use a dimmer and/or switch the height of the bulb in relation to the basking area. That takes some tweaking and observation.
Same goes for CHEs if you use those. You can get a few different wattages so you can test out which works best and save the others for a different season, or dimmer.

I decided to forgo the UV as long I can take my tort outside for UV.
(If I can’t let the tort out at any point, I’ll install a 24” strip. I have a UVmeter from previous reptile owners ready to go to set it at the correct height and check it’s still emitting UV after a few months).
Instead I use a smart frosted LED bulb that is programmed to provide daytime cool white light only (no LED UVs).

I use a Govee thermometer/hygrometer so I got a the smart LED lightbulb from that brand too. I control and check those from an app on my phone.
My basking light is on a separate timer.
I have my Govee thermometer/hygrometer stationed inside the chamber and a temp gun for measuring the basking temp. I recommend getting one of those bc when your tortoise is in there you want to be able to take the temp any time with her inside, and on their shell too.

I know you’re on a tight timeline but try to give yourself a few days to test everything out and tweak!
Thanks so much for the advice., especially the brand. I might just have to sit outside with tort for a while. I couldn’t find the lights at my local Home Depot today.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
Tom - whose caresheet you should def read :) - has great advice on how long and how to expose babies to sunlight. Not too long, not full sun.
Give a read to the caresheet linked in comment #2!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks so much for the advice., especially the brand. I might just have to sit outside with tort for a while. I couldn’t find the lights at my local Home Depot today.
THe UVB lights-NO, but the fixture yes. Most pet stores stock the UVB bulbs you just have to know what you want before you go. I use a T5 fixture that I got at the Habitat Humanity Restore- it was a used grow light fixture 48" for only $20 bucks. I get my bulbs online and at the local pet shop. If you can dedicate 2 hours a day outside in the sun then spend the loot on other things. Just make sure you have something that can corral them and offers shade. Inattention leads to lost torts, even for a moment you would be surprised how far the go and such a slow pace

Quixx66

Louisiana
Tom - whose caresheet you should def read :) - has great advice on how long and how to expose babies to sunlight. Not too long, not full sun.
Give a read to the caresheet linked in comment #2!
Read it! Following now to buy stuff. Thanks.

Quixx66

Louisiana
THe UVB lights-NO, but the fixture yes. Most pet stores stock the UVB bulbs you just have to know what you want before you go. I use a T5 fixture that I got at the Habitat Humanity Restore- it was a used grow light fixture 48" for only $20 bucks. I get my bulbs online and at the local pet shop. If you can dedicate 2 hours a day outside in the sun then spend the loot on other things. Just make sure you have something that can corral them and offers shade. Inattention leads to lost torts, even for a moment you would be surprised how far the go and such a slow pace
Great buy! Thanks for the advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Your questions:
1. A 22" HO would work fine in your current enclosure, and your larger one when the time comes.
2. You need the right type of UV bulb. HO. As far as wattage for the basking lamp, only your thermometer can answer that.
3. LED lights are fine. Get the 5000-6500K color ones. Screw in types work fine and so do strip types.
4. Thermostats control ambient temperature. This is explained in my first paragraph.
5. Brands: For HO UV lighting, I prefer Arcadia. I buy basking and LED bulbs at the hardware store. CHE can be bought online or at a pet store. I like ZooMed CHEs, but any should work.

I've taken a lot of time to type this all up for you, and that comes with a price. To compensate me for my time, you MUST post lots of pics of your new baby when it arrives! :)

Quixx66

Louisiana
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Your questions:
1. A 22" HO would work fine in your current enclosure, and your larger one when the time comes.
2. You need the right type of UV bulb. HO. As far as wattage for the basking lamp, only your thermometer can answer that.
3. LED lights are fine. Get the 5000-6500K color ones. Screw in types work fine and so do strip types.
4. Thermostats control ambient temperature. This is explained in my first paragraph.
5. Brands: For HO UV lighting, I prefer Arcadia. I buy basking and LED bulbs at the hardware store. CHE can be bought online or at a pet store. I like ZooMed CHEs, but any should work.

I've taken a lot of time to type this all up for you, and that comes with a price. To compensate me for my time, you MUST post lots of pics of your new baby when it arrives! :)
Thank you, Tom! So grateful that you held my hand on this! I feel so much better.

andrew vickers

Venice, Florida
Hi All,

My little Western Hermann’s is going to arrive from Chris next week. I still need advice/help on lighting and heating products to buy. I’ve been researching for a while, and already bought some products, but I still have questions.

His first enclosure is 37” x 21”, but I have the classic Christmas tree bin for him to grow into.

1. Do I need UVB lamps to fit the long or short side? I’ve been looking for a while but find few options for 36” lamps or fixtures and never at the same time. 24” lamps are far readily available but are the sufficient?

4. I don’t understand about thermostats. Do they regulate the UVB, basking, both at the same time for the same device? Do they have timers built in to turn off at night and on in morning? Is a timer something I need to buy?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200619_124254.jpg
    20200619_124254.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200619_124214.jpg
    20200619_124214.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

qiangzhu

Washington
Hi All,

Thanks!
There is a green house setup in the enclosure forum. I feel it is not hard to setup and very amazing