buying hatchlings legal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dariceboij

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando,FL
I see a lot of posts about hatchling care and am wondering if it is legal since they aren't pet shop size. Or is there some unspoken rule or loop hole I am not aware about.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Nope not illegal. Its just more maintenance for hatchlings nd petstores dont have time for it. Thats why they only have adults to just throw food nd give water. If you go to reptile stores they will have hatchlings. You can get a hatchling as young as a day few days ussally a week old.

5 Year Member
Tortoises dont need mommy after they are born, they have a embryo sack that is under them that gives them the nutrients they need. Nd then it eventually goes away/falls off

dariceboij

Orlando,FL
Thank you for replying i just see every breeders website cite the federal law for turtles/tortoises needing to be 4 inches to be sold as pets but that's where it ends no info about needing proof of being a exporter or using the tortoise for education purposes.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hope you get the sweet little :tort: tort you're looking for and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The federal law is often times mis-interpreted. It means that BUSINESSES can't sell turtles and tortoises under 4" in length. Does not mean that a private party can't sell them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Thank you for replying i just see every breeders website cite the federal law for turtles/tortoises needing to be 4 inches to be sold as pets but that's where it ends no info about needing proof of being a exporter or using the tortoise for education purposes.

They are trying to exploit what they think is a loophole.

dariceboij

Orlando,FL
thanks again everyone im real hesitant to order from a breeder that will ship tortoise since I live in Florida and its been scorching here lately. I would prefer to pick up my tortoise personally rather than ship him. I might just wait til repticon is in town at the end of may so I can have my research/enclosure completed.

5 Year Member
thanks again everyone im real hesitant to order from a breeder that will ship tortoise since I live in Florida and its been scorching here lately. I would prefer to pick up my tortoise personally rather than ship him. I might just wait til repticon is in town at the end of may so I can have my research/enclosure completed.

Theres many people in florida u can find that have torts now just depends what kind you want. Nd yeah its hot but doing overnight shipping will be okay nd just make sure your there when he arrives and give him a nice soak :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to tortoise forum.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but do your reading here first.
Lots of care sheets and advice available here, the most up to date information there is.

dariceboij

Orlando,FL
I was looking at Russian tortoises since according to my reading i don't have the space required for a redfoot or Hermann.

5 Year Member
Its on you. Being a beginner doesnt mean anything you have this amazing forum to help with EVERYTHING! :)
The question you do need to ask is do you have the time and money for a hatchling. Im not saying it will cost you a fortune but start up does cost a little to get everything get crafty and you can do it for cheap. Only problem is the lights will be your most expensive thing.And hatchlings tend to flip on their back a lot and eventually hopefully grow out of it. Honestly i think you should go with what your most comfortable with.

Getting an adult has its perks!! You are adopting one that might have had a crap life and youll make it better (like adopting a dog thats not a puppy) and adults already have big personalities that will be fun to see and bond with :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As a beginner should i consider an older tortoise as opposed to a younger one?
There are multiple 4" laws. There is the Federal law and then some states have there own laws. I don't know what, if anything, FL has on the books for this.

The Federal 4" law specifically excludes hobbyists selling the offspring of their pets. It is intended to stop large scale professional breeding operations from selling chelonians under 4". It also excludes sales for "educational" or "scientific purposes".

What this all means is that the law is pretty vague. It is generally not enforced either except in regards to the large scale turtle farmers in the South Eastern US. You should have no problem buying a russian tortoise from a private breeder that has a few adults in their back yard, unless your state laws say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.