wonderfulwildlife

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
It’s my first time going to an expo & I’m getting my first tortoise. I have three questions about buying a hatchling at an expo:

(A) What is a good guarantee on a hatchling? A lot of places seem to have a 7-day guarantee & I’m wondering if that’s good or on the low side for a guarantee on a hatchling.

(B) If the vendor just has a Facebook & no website, is there a good way to get the guarantee in writing just so it doesn’t become a he said, she said-type thing if you need to use the guarantee?

(C) I know that tortoises should be handled sparingly especially when you first get them to avoid stressing them further (especially when they’re already stressed from being at the expo). I also know that with redfoots in particular, humidity & hydration is VITAL & going to/being at the expo might dehydrate them. So my question is: should you soak them the day you get them? If so, do you do that before putting them in the enclosure for the first time or later that day after they have settled in a little?

Thank you so much!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Definately soak them. Babies need it their 1st year for 30min soaks a day in warm water. If you getting it from an expo, why the need for a guarantee?