Cactus Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise Girl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta
Hi - I need your help!

I've read that some feed their tortoises cactus pad - What is it? Should explain that I live in Alberta (Canada) so may sound like a silly question but is this something that I should be bringing in? Currently am feeding all natural with supplements.

Thanks as always!
Laurie

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
don't they cacti in canada? :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Go to a market that serves the Latino part of your community...in the produce section you'll find both pads and (probably) the "pears"...

Also, there are some varieties that are native to Canada, I think.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
dmmj said:

It was late last night I should have said " Don't they have cacti in canada?"

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
aldorathomas said:
Cactus pads are the stems of the prickly pear cactus, which is a member of the Opuntia species of cactus but they are not generally available in U.K. supermarkets.

Surely you have markets that support the Latino and/or Greek communities, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not a necessity to feed your tortoise cactus. Its just a good food for you to use if its available in your neck of the woods. Your tortoise isn't going to be deficient in any way if he doesn't get any.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
dmmj said:

It was late last night I should have said " Don't they have cacti in canada?"

Oh...I thought it was some kind of new dance. You know...like "Don't they rhumba?" Was trying to figure out what the "cacti" might look like.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Is the cactus fine to feed russian tortosies as well as red foots?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
goReptiles said:

Its fine for all torts. I like to start with small amounts, finely chopped and mixed in with greens, at first, and I usually feed it as part of a varied diet once or twice a week.

It is supposedly very high in calcium and a lot of torts eat it (or similar things) in the wild.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Tom said:
goReptiles said:

Its fine for all torts. I like to start with small amounts, finely chopped and mixed in with greens, at first, and I usually feed it as part of a varied diet once or twice a week.

It is supposedly very high in calcium and a lot of torts eat it (or similar things) in the wild.

If i can find a Shop that sells this are they safe to fed as i have been told to buy organic or grow my own as shop bought stuff would have been grown in fertilizer and could have been sprayed too. Are Cactus grown different or do you still have to look for Organic ones?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The fertilizer stuff pertains more to nursery plants than grocery store food. If its safe for human consumption, I don't worry too much about feeding it to my animals. Also, cactus don't really need much fertilizer or pesticides during the growing process, so this should be less of a concern than it would be for a tomato or head of lettuce.

Having said all of that, I do grow my own because its fresher, cheaper, easier and I have the space. It is very easy to grow, even in pots.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tracy Gould said:
Tom said:
goReptiles said:

If i can find a Shop that sells this are they safe to fed as i have been told to buy organic or grow my own as shop bought stuff would have been grown in fertilizer and could have been sprayed too. Are Cactus grown different or do you still have to look for Organic ones?

Call around and find a ethnic grocery that sell pads and grow your own...it's remarkably easy to do (around here, a lot of folks go out and chop it down before it takes over their yards). Just buy some of the spineless variety, plant one pad per large pot (or in your yard, if applicable), and in no time, you'll see results. :cool:

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Terry Allan Hall said:
Tracy Gould said:
Tom said:
goReptiles said:

Call around and find a ethnic grocery that sell pads and grow your own...it's remarkably easy to do (around here, a lot of folks go out and chop it down before it takes over their yards). Just buy some of the spineless variety, plant one pad per large pot (or in your yard, if applicable), and in no time, you'll see results. :cool:

Ok i will try to grow some it will have to be in doors though i live in the UK and i do not think they would survive our weathe lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
goReptiles said:

Loaded with calcium and older pads are a GREAT source of fiber...check out this link...
http://www.rivenrock.com/nutrients.htm
...there are nutrient breakdowns for cooked, raw and the pears (tuna)...and they do carry the most tender cactus I've seen...with the possible exception of Tyler Stewart's.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
DeanS said:
...there are nutrient breakdowns for cooked, raw and the pears (tuna)...and they do carry the most tender cactus I've seen...with the possible exception of Tyler Stewart's.

Well, you know I like them young and tender.

Rivenrock has a nice type of cactus. It's a bright green color and comes as clean and healthy looking as anybodys.

Mrs. Farris

5 Year Member
Oceanside, Ca
I would look at a local farmer's market. I actually went to one today and found a man selling cactus pads very cheap- 5 or 6 big ones for 2 dollars. My tort is very young/small so I just wanted to get one, the man was very nice and gave it to me for free- he thought it was funny and cute that I was giving it to my baby tortoise. I live in Southern California so there may be more availability her than other places but its still a good place to check out either way.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Tyler, I've been thinking about buying some from you. I think it would take me a while to use up even your smallest lot. How well do they keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.