Cactus pad

Disund420

Location (City and/or State)
Farmingdale
Just curious about feeding my red foot cactus pad and where to get it. I live on Long Island and I have read about cactus pad for tortoises. I guess my question is what exactly is it called? Is it spineless? I have seen some in produce stores but still seem to have spines on them. Is there a place on line that I could order the correct ones? How long do they keep? My girl is a little over a year old. Thanks for any information.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. See if you have any International type markets in your area. If so, go check out the fresh vegetable section. You might get lucky & find them for sale. “Opuntia” pads for sale & consumption by ppl usually have less spines on..... grab some and bring home. You can scrape the larger spines off, or not.

Here’s where & how I get pads for our Sulcata.

EFDF3285-127C-4D7A-A73F-FA8061E6F3F1.jpeg

Disund420

Farmingdale
Thank you. So it is ok if there are some spines on it? Then I can scrape them off? I have seen them in a few stores, but was nervous about the spines.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you. So it is ok if there are some spines on it? Then I can scrape them off? I have seen them in a few stores, but was nervous about the spines.

Yes, Tom has written extensively about this in many previous posts with this same question. If you want to be extra careful, sure, you can scrape them off. Ive used a backwards motion with a knife, most come off. Around the edge are many smaller ones, I used to take scissors and just trim 1/4 inch all around. BUT, not necessary at all. Some ppl if they have gas stoves take tongs & singe them off.

If your Redfoot is a youngster, and you only feed a pad now & then, sure, clean it up & feed. You will feel better.

They really don’t keep very well “fresh” so if you do find some locally, just purchase a few.

good luck

Disund420

Farmingdale
Yes, Tom has written extensively about this in many previous posts with this same question. If you want to be extra careful, sure, you can scrape them off. Ive used a backwards motion with a knife, most come off. Around the edge are many smaller ones, I used to take scissors and just trim 1/4 inch all around. BUT, not necessary at all. Some ppl if they have gas stoves take tongs & singe them off.

If your Redfoot is a youngster, and you only feed a pad now & then, sure, clean it up & feed. You will feel better.

They really don’t keep very well “fresh” so if you do find some locally, just purchase a few.

good luck
Thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just curious about feeding my red foot cactus pad and where to get it. I live on Long Island and I have read about cactus pad for tortoises. I guess my question is what exactly is it called? Is it spineless? I have seen some in produce stores but still seem to have spines on them. Is there a place on line that I could order the correct ones? How long do they keep? My girl is a little over a year old. Thanks for any information.
I've been to Farmingdale! We had our PSA National Championship Trials there in 2007. I won! Got first place in the highest class, and it was my second year in a row doing it. I left Farmingdale with a big smile on my face that year.

I used to de-spine all the "spineless opuntia" cactus pads. Then I saw footage of wild tortoises in area where opuntia is not native eating the fully spined version with no problem. I stopped worrying about the few little bitty spines. For the last few years, I just hack off buckets full of pads for my tortoises and dump them onto the feeding trays. I don't even take the spines off for tiny hatclings and babies anymore. The tortoises just eat them. No problems of any kind, except my own hands and arms. All summer long I have those damn glochids sticking me!

Canadian Mojo

Ontario

good luck
I would have figured that being cactus you could just leave them on a sunny window sill for a few weeks no problem. (and then root them if so inclined).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would have figured that being cactus you could just leave them on a sunny window sill for a few weeks no problem. (and then root them if so inclined).
The best pads are recently grown ones. These don't last as long as more mature pads. They last even less when people refrigerate them or keep them anywhere with reduced ventilation. They will literally last for months at room temp or hotter with good ventilation around them

Disund420

Farmingdale
I've been to Farmingdale! We had our PSA National Championship Trials there in 2007. I won! Got first place in the highest class, and it was my second year in a row doing it. I left Farmingdale with a big smile on my face that year.

I used to de-spine all the "spineless opuntia" cactus pads. Then I saw footage of wild tortoises in area where opuntia is not native eating the fully spined version with no problem. I stopped worrying about the few little bitty spines. For the last few years, I just hack off buckets full of pads for my tortoises and dump them onto the feeding trays. I don't even take the spines off for tiny hatclings and babies anymore. The tortoises just eat them. No problems of any kind, except my own hands and arms. All summer long I have those damn glochids sticking me!
Thanks!!

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
The best pads are recently grown ones. These don't last as long as more mature pads. They last even less when people refrigerate them or keep them anywhere with reduced ventilation. They will literally last for months at room temp or hotter with good ventilation around them
Kind of like you don't put bananas in the vegetable crisper.

We actually have a species (O. humifusa) that grows up here naturally in two small locations along lake Erie. That one you could probably store in the fridge.;)

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Wherever you decide to get them, take a few and stick them in the dirt where they can get plenty of sun and you will soon be a cactus farmer. I'm on the Island as well so I know you can definitely grow them outside. just put in an area that gets tons of sun.

Disund420

Farmingdale
Wherever you decide to get them, take a few and stick them in the dirt where they can get plenty of sun and you will soon be a cactus farmer. I'm on the Island as well so I know you can definitely grow them outside. just put in an area that gets tons of sun.
Thank you! I will!