cactus pads in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Just a question to my fellow Canadian forum members. Has anyone ever seen Prickly Pear (optunia) cactus pads for sale anywhere in Canada? Maybe at an imported food store or frozen or something like that? I have yet to find any but was wondering if anyone else has seen it. Thanks!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
dannomite said:
Just a question to my fellow Canadian forum members. Has anyone ever seen Prickly Pear (optunia) cactus pads for sale anywhere in Canada? Maybe at an imported food store or frozen or something like that? I have yet to find any but was wondering if anyone else has seen it. Thanks!

Do you know of any food markets catering to Hispanics (folks from Mexico, the Caribean, Central or South America), primarily? That's a good place to look. Ask for nopals (pads) and/or tunas (the fruit)...Around here the pads go for $.35 per or 3/$1 and the pears are $.60/lb...likely a bit higher up your way, but probably not too spendy.

Might see what varieties would grow there, as well...pretty easy to grow I'm discovering. :cool:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
In Montreal, QC they sell Cactus pear to almost all of the food market, if you have any italian food store near your house, I am sure you will find them there :).

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida

dannomite

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! I was wondering a bit more about growing it indoors.....Has anyone had success with that?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
As far as I have been told it isnt a problem. I asked the workers here at my local post office. I will ship them USPS Priority.

artemiss

5 Year Member
Im able to find the fruit at my local Sobeys grocery store. I was a little surprised they had it, my tort LOVES it. I havent seen any cactus for sale though, and Ive been looking everywhere.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
As the previous poster mentioned you can get the Prickly Pear Fruit at Fortinos by the case but you wouldn't be able to use all this without it going bad if you only have 1 or 2 torts. Fortinos does sell them separately once in a while (I guess when they have a case left over before it goes bad). I have purchased a few this way, you just have to keep your eye open whenever you go in there.

The cactus pads I grow inside in winter and I move the pots outside in summer and just cut off what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.