Cactus transplanting?

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
hi guys!! So I was just now able to acquire some wild cactus pads and was hoping to start growing them for my babies eventually. I know it takes a while for them to 'take', but i was hoping you guys had some pointers for me. Just a disclaimer, I kill all plants.... so any Info you think might be common knowledge, I probably have no idea ?? any and all pointers are welcome in all stages of the process lol!

I will also be waiting to feed them any of those just to be safe. Thankfully i have some human food grade ones already and some from Kapidolo ?

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I ordered mine online a few pads and just let them dry out for about a week. Then just stuck the pads about an inch deep in cactus/succulent soil from home depot. 3 months later i had some good new growth. Just lightly watered the first day and then waited a month and water every 2 weeks or so
E4A7B4D7-8D71-44FC-B0A8-920D51DE3954.jpeg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Ok cool! Mine are pretty knarlie looking lol. But like I said, I found them growing wild by a horse stable so I snagged them. But I guess they have to be angry looking to grow up out there lol

And if they aren't the right kind ill just grow them for fun maybe or give them to a family member ?‍♀️
20200628_004006.jpg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I ordered mine online a few pads and just let them dry out for about a week. Then just stuck the pads about an inch deep in cactus/succulent soil from home depot. 3 months later i had some good new growth. Just lightly watered the first day and then waited a month and water every 2 weeks or so
View attachment 298592
Thats really cool though! They look fake lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok cool! Mine are pretty knarlie looking lol. But like I said, I found them growing wild by a horse stable so I snagged them. But I guess they have to be angry looking to grow up out there lol

And if they aren't the right kind ill just grow them for fun maybe or give them to a family member ?‍♀️
View attachment 298593
I wouldn't mess with those. Just toss 'em out. There are several spineless varieties that are easier to work with.

To start cactus cuttings allow the cactus to sit in the shade for a week or two so the cut part scars over then plant in well drained soil and only water when dirt is completely dry.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
AGREED! No stickery cactus! UNstickery kind far easier for you and the tortoise to live with.

Do you have a greenhouse? These grow best with natural sun and not just a sunny window. I don't think the spineless ones can take your winter weather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My formula is similar to what's already been stated:
  1. Get some mature spineless pads. By mature I mean pads that grew at least one year ago. I have better results using mature pads compared to fresh tender pads from this year.
  2. Leave them outside in the shade somewhere so the cut end can scar over and dry out for a week or two.
  3. Stick the pad into some dry cactus type soil, or just the native dirt. I put about 1/2 to 1/3 of the pad into the dirt, cut end first.
  4. I make a large basin around the base of each planted pad.
  5. Don't water it for about one month.
  6. After one month, I trickle water and fill the basin. In hot summers with 100+ degree heat and single digit humidity, I fill that basin two or three times a week. With temps in the 80s and sunny every day, I fill it once a week. In winter, when we get our rains, I don't water them at all.
  7. Be prepared to spray the cochineal bugs off with a water stream from a hose. Do this weekly and they will never gain a foot hold. Be complacent about this and they will overrun your cacti.
  8. In some areas, it is necessary to make a large round chicken wire barrier around freshly planted pads to keep the rabbits and other critters off of them.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
AGREED! No stickery cactus! UNstickery kind far easier for you and the tortoise to live with.

Do you have a greenhouse? These grow best with natural sun and not just a sunny window. I don't think the spineless ones can take your winter weather.
I have an extra grow tent + grow light I can use to bring them in during winter. Thats what my nana does atleast for her succulents during winter... would that be ok?

My formula is similar to what's already been stated:
  1. Get some mature spineless pads. By mature I mean pads that grew at least one year ago. I have better results using mature pads compared to fresh tender pads from this year.
  2. Leave them outside in the shade somewhere so the cut end can scar over and dry out for a week or two.
  3. Stick the pad into some dry cactus type soil, or just the native dirt. I put about 1/2 to 1/3 of the pad into the dirt, cut end first.
  4. I make a large basin around the base of each planted pad.
  5. Don't water it for about one month.
  6. After one month, I trickle water and fill the basin. In hot summers with 100+ degree heat and single digit humidity, I fill that basin two or three times a week. With temps in the 80s and sunny every day, I fill it once a week. In winter, when we get our rains, I don't water them at all.
  7. Be prepared to spray the cochineal bugs off with a water stream from a hose. Do this weekly and they will never gain a foot hold. Be complacent about this and they will overrun your cacti.
  8. In some areas, it is necessary to make a large round chicken wire barrier around freshly planted pads to keep the rabbits and other critters off of them.
I was going to start them off in a pot that is a 5 gallon air pot if you think that would work after that drying process with some cactus soil. I think I might have found some spineless ones online. Ive just seen people burn the spines off and thought that might work, but you guys are right, easier the other way. I think I was just excited I had found some I could have lol ?
Screenshot_20200629-104419_Chrome.jpg

And eww... i will definitely spray for those! Lol
And I will look into the chicken wire as well. I usually go to the Mexican market and pick up their super hot cayenne pepper and sprinkle that around too. Our bunnies here( which are in the hundreds....) don't care for that either. But I have to get the HOT stuff lol.

Thank you guys!!! I really appreciate it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to start them off in a pot that is a 5 gallon air pot if you think that would work after that drying process with some cactus soil. I think I might have found some spineless ones online. Ive just seen people burn the spines off and thought that might work, but you guys are right, easier the other way. I think I was just excited I had found some I could have lol ?
View attachment 298731

And eww... i will definitely spray for those! Lol
And I will look into the chicken wire as well. I usually go to the Mexican market and pick up their super hot cayenne pepper and sprinkle that around too. Our bunnies here( which are in the hundreds....) don't care for that either. But I have to get the HOT stuff lol.

Thank you guys!!! I really appreciate it!
I've never used an air pot, but give it a go and let us know. Regular pots work fine, but eventually, the roots get too big and need to spread out.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
View attachment 298592
Wow you got amazing quick growth! Maybe it’s the quality of the pad?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Maggie! Tell her.. palm to pad or it will be sad
You are sad. I am a native Californian, when I moved to Oregon I brought all my cactus with me. When Bob died I discovered non of my tortoises (3) will eat them. So I am growing them for me, as I am a barefoot lady and without fail they drop the spines on the ground and I step on'em
100_4293.JPG
100_4185.JPG
100_4295.JPG