cactus with spines? sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

argus333

5 Year Member
anyone feed cactus with the spines on it i see it all the time at food store, i think my leopards ate this once or twice yrs. ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wild ones do it every day. Well not sulcatas, since there is no native cactus in Africa, but the new world ones do. I does not seem to hurt them, but I'm still afraid to risk it with my tortoises. I only feed de-spined or spineless.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I feed the nopales with spines but I scrape them all off first. I feel like your question was if those were safe not if it was okay to feed with spines intact which I would say no too, but if the spines are removed they are great. Just trying to see if I was understanding correctly

argus333

5 Year Member
ya i was thinking of giving them a scrape. i get the spines in my hand if i jus touch them amazing they can eat that. ill try some. my sullys are 12 to 15 inch.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well about 4yrs ago I planted a cautus with 3inch thorns on it in my leopard torts enclosure . The first day they ate all of the thorns off , but I thought at least I still have the cautus the next day they ate it to the ground .

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You can use a blow torch to get them off. It is way easier and gets the entire thorn off. Spineless is hard to come across in the stores and the ones on ebay and amazon are not cheap.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Wild ones do it every day. Well not sulcatas, since there is no native cactus in Africa, but the new world ones do. I does not seem to hurt them, but I'm still afraid to risk it with my tortoises. I only feed de-spined or spineless.
Although cacti are native to the Americas, cacti, especially opuntias of the nopales type, have been spread and naturalized around the world. So apparently they are a favored part of the diet of wild radiated tortoises in Madagascar for example.

Doug

brandonhuston

5 Year Member
colorado springs
My sulcata is actually eating some now I pick the majority of the spines off but I don't think it matters cause he has eaten wild cactus grows where I am that has way more spines and it didn't hurt him

Status
Not open for further replies.