Cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm looking to buy some cactus pads in hopes of finding the cure to a picky eater. I also would love to plant one so I'd have some growing. My only issue is I'm not sure where to order it.

I went to buy some on tortoisesupply.com but sadly it is unavailable right now.

So does anyone know where I can order some? Or if you happen to live in SoCal do you know any markets where I can just go and purchase it?

Thanks!
Sarah

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Do you have any Mexican markets near you? They seem to carry them year round...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
HipsterTorts said:
I'm looking to buy some cactus pads in hopes of finding the cure to a picky eater. I also would love to plant one so I'd have some growing. My only issue is I'm not sure where to order it.

I went to buy some on tortoisesupply.com but sadly it is unavailable right now.

So does anyone know where I can order some? Or if you happen to live in SoCal do you know any markets where I can just go and purchase it?

Thanks!
Sarah

Go to the Hispanic part of town and the first large grocery store you see will likely have cactus pads (called "nopales") for sale in the produce section...around here, they go from $.25 to $.60/lb.

Buy a several and keep them in the 'fridge, wrapped in paper towels, to keep them dry, and they'll last a while. Dwpending on the size of your tort, you might offer 1/4 of a pad up to a whole pad...of my 4, the three ladies will eat it whole, but my "dude" ignores it unless it's chopped up into little chunks (my wife pointedly asked me how long it took Ptolemy to train me to do that... :rolleyes: )

Easy to grow, as well: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Gr...us-Indica-and-Harvest-Prickly-Pears&id=709595

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
dalano73 said:
Do you have any Mexican markets near you? They seem to carry them year round...

The thing about Vallarta, Jax and the other Mexican markets is that the cactus is rarely fresh...and should ONLY be used when other sources are tapped. Tyler is out right now...but the best internet source is

www.rivenrock.com

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I get mine at a Mexican store and it's really fresh. Two dollars for a huge bag with the spines already removed... sure beats the days of picking out cactus thorns out with tweezers!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Mexican Stores You Can Buy Them Cheap!
Also Order Seeds Online or Home Garden Centers

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
The 4 or 5 places I get cactus pads (whichever I'm nearest when I need to buy some) only sell fresh pads...those Hispanic ladies are fanatics about ALL of their ingredients being fresh for their recipes!

OTOH, the ones you buy in places like Krogers are sometimes kinda questionable.

anora

5 Year Member
Can any one share the benefits of cactus..???
I hear many time that it is good for health but i really don't know the benefit of it...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
anora said:
Can any one share the benefits of cactus..???
I hear many time that it is good for health but i really don't know the benefit of it...

Cactus pads are very rich in dietary fiber. They are also rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K, but also riboflavin and vitamin B6 and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and manganese, but also iron and copper. In addition, they have a high calcium content and are low in carbohydrates.

Status
Not open for further replies.