Calcium d3 or plain calcium??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Well picked up some rep cal the other day... All they had was calcium with D3... Wondering if this is OK... Tony spends a good 8-10 hrs outside... Wondering if this is ok... Or should I try and locate plain calcium...

Thanks in advance...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Anyone?? I used the search feature and all can find is if the tortoise is inside most of the time use cal with vit D... If he gets sun cal without vitamin D... Is there an issue with giving a tort cal with Vitamin D even if he spends most days outside??

Tony the tank

5 Year Member

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Other then giving the dosage amount Mark also said this:

Overdoses of D3 add to the problems by calcifying soft tissues, etc.

So yes, it can cause issues. If your tort spends the day outside then he is getting all the vitamin D he needs from the sun and doesn't need calcium with D3.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just to be safe, I would just give regular calcium right now since your tortoise gets so much outside time and save the calcium D3 for the winter months...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Just regular cuttlebone the kind you buy at the pet store for parakeets??

If so how much do I give him??[/i]

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You can just put the whole thing in the enclosure and Tony will eat on it when he want's. I put on in with my male and sometimes he eats the whole thing right away and sometimes it takes him a few days to eat one...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ok.. So it's just regular cuttlefish bone you buy at the pet store for birds correct??

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Tony the tank said:
Ok.. So it's just regular cuttlefish bone you buy at the pet store for birds correct??

Sorry forgot to answer that part, but yes. I get mine from the bird section at the local feed store..

Jill Gatwood

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
I also ended up with calcium powder with Vit D3 and have read a number of posts saying that it's harmful to give D3 if the tort has exposure to full spectrum light. Mine is inside with a Powersun light, that presumably provides D3. I understand the theory behind the idea of overdosing, but does anyone have a link to any real data about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.