Calcium deposits (not on shell)

LizzyLu

Location (City and/or State)
Katy, Texas
Looking for advice. My area in Texas has very hard water. I do filter out chlorine and other chemicals, but do not want a softening system. My redfoot get white on tops of their heads, not calcium build up on shell. I soak regularly & spray w/distilled water after soaking, and all water used in their enclosure is distilled. Still have white heads, shells are fine. Suggestions? Thanks

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
Is that zoomed/clear enough? As you can see, it has a good carapace, but white on top of head.

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
Cherry head came to me with the pyramiding and I have improved her conditions. See the white on head though? These guys get daily soaks, 70% humidity in enclosures, outside time, etc. just frustrated with the esthetics, I guess

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
I have dug though archives and usually only see issues with calcium deposits on the carapace. That’s why I finally decided to ask about this issue.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This isn't calcium deposits, it's usually low humidity that causes this. What kind of hygrometer are you using?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might just be extra dry skin. Rub in a bit of cold pressed coconut oil or mineral oil, allow to absorb then polish it off.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The white spots on the shell (non marbling parts) look like the start of shell fungus to me. I am not sure if the spot on the head is fungus, but it could be. I would definitely do some athlete's foot cream on the shell and possibly try some on the head to see if it makes a difference.

It's generally not a good idea to drink nothing but distilled water (or pure RO water) since it lacks minerals. While it probably won't make your tortoise deficient since it gets minerals in food, I would probably still avoid it long term.

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
The tortoise soak in regular tap water daily. They are sprayed down in distilled water. The fogger has distilled water as well. Thanks.

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
This isn't calcium deposits, it's usually low humidity that causes this. What kind of hygrometer are you using?
I use inkbird- also controls the fogger. Set to go off lower than 70% humidity. I have 3-4 inches of substrate that I wet down and flip weekly. Top is 65% covered. Also spray enclosure daily and soak the torts daily. Hard to imagine they are dehydrated. They do like to chill under the heat lamp a lot when they are inside during the winter. Would that cause the dryness even when humidity is good? Summertime when they are outside all day this isn’t as pronounced.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think it's possible they're drying out under the heat lamp. Maybe try getting a separate hygrometer to make sure yours is reading accurate too.

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
Will do. I will place it closer to the basking area too. Thank you! Some dryness is actually an easier fix for me then calcium deposits, so that’s a relief. Building a new tort table with a greenhouse topper. That should also help.

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
I think it's possible they're drying out under the heat lamp. Maybe try getting a separate hygrometer to make sure yours is reading accurate too.
Is there a hygrometer you recommend? I know most are notoriously inaccurate.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Great looking Cherry heads too!

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
Thanks. I think it’s still young enough to correct the pyramiding. Love seeing the marbling come through. Appreciate your time.