calcium question

palyspride

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, Fl
I have some calcium concerns. I have been reading that d3 is good and d3 is bad for tortoises. what are your opinions on d3? I am currently trying to use without (she has a uvb light and a basking light with uva). my hermanni has a very pesky way of picking out the veggies with the calcium and leaving them or eating around the calcium. does anyone have any ideas to get her to eat the calciumed veggies? Some say if she get hungry enough she'll eat them, but that sounds too...mean for me:)

Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can get your tort out side at least a couple times a week, then you won't need any D3. Yes, too much can be bad. I try to give a small pinch once a month only during the winter months when they can't go outside. Also, calcium I wouldn't do more then 2 times a week, again a small pinch and mix it well into the food.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Just use a pinch of calcium. Even just a pinch every 2 weeks would be great. As far as the D3 goes, it does no harm to feed it. Although, when exposed to UVA-UVB rays the tortoise will manufacture the D3 on their own. That said, it's best if they get the UV rays from the good old sun. Even if it's a few hours a week helps.