Calcium questions: RF hatchling

Bbrandi

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I’m raising my first red foot, “Lava” (as named by the kiddo) ?. Can anyone offer some feedback on calcium supplementation?

At what age should I begin? With D3 or no D3? I’ve currently got a Cuttle bone in the enclosure which is being used occasionally.
Thanks for your feedback!
8EC3EC8A-A214-44B8-BB45-5C48AEA721D3.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I feed egg shells for calcium about once every two weeks. I also have a cuttlebone in their enclosures all the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feed calcium-rich greens (you can ask Google for a list), then I add a pinch of calcium powder over the food two times a week. I don't use D3 because my babies are under a UVB light. Once they are big enough to go outside, they will be manufacturing their own D3 from the sun.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use the brown Repashy "Superveggie" powder.
Or I chip away at a cuttlebone with a small file and use the dust.
A Redfoot that is past that delicate baby stage should need no additional supplements with a varied diet and access to some UVB.
Keep a cuttlebone handy off and on throughout the animals lifetime

Bbrandi

San Diego
We have room outdoors when it’s time, but in the meantime, I have a uvb tube I’m running 5 hours a day. I can also give several outdoor opportunities every week (I have a predator safe cage). The summer temps here are 70-90 and the humidity is about 60%. Is that safe for a 3 mo old Redfoot (with a hide and water dish)?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
We have room outdoors when it’s time, but in the meantime, I have a uvb tube I’m running 5 hours a day. I can also give several outdoor opportunities every week (I have a predator safe cage). The summer temps here are 70-90 and the humidity is about 60%. Is that safe for a 3 mo old Redfoot (with a hide and water dish)?
The humidity should be kept higher around the 80-100% to prevent Pyramiding, at this stage of life it’s better for the tortoise to be kept in a closed chamber. 60% isn’t high enough, the temperature should stay between the 80-89