calcium w/d3 and vitamins???

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Puente ,Ca
i was wondering what type of schedule or dusting schedule i should do with the d3 and if i need any other vitamins for my baby sulcata tort???and should i use a phopshorus free one or one with???and should i use zoo med repti cal or rep-cal???or should i get miner-all out door or in door ...need some help asap...thanks...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Avoid phosphorous, unless it is a very small percentage of the whole. Tortoises NEED a balanced ratio of about 1 to 2 parts calcium to every part phosphorous (this is expressed as a Ca: P of 1:1 to 2:1). the calcium makes bones hard, but brittle. Some phosphorous gives them a bit of softness that makes them tough. Too much phosphorous makes them too soft.

Most grocery store foods are a little low in calcium, so we offer a little to help. How much depends on what our gut feeling for how low we are. Most of us offer a small pinch to the little guys once or twice a week.

D3 is helpful, but if the tortoise is getting natural sunlight or has a good UVB light, it is not really needed- but it is also rarely a problem unless you are adding a lot vitamin d supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.