calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cape canaveral/cocoa beach florida
hello my name is tim.I am searching for a new calcium to give to my tortoise i recently discovered that the calcium ive been offering to clark has no vitamin d and this concerns me.If anybody can recomend a good calcuim or a site to order from i would be much appreciated.aslo i was wondering how often do u offer calcium to a spur thigh i offer clark a dusting of calcium 3 to 4 times a week every other day in a meal.the calcium ive been using is called rep-cal herptivite with beta carotene multivitamins.ur comments and advise would be much appreciated thank u

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
If your using a UVB bulb he does not need a calcium powder with D3.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
If your using a UVB bulb he does not need a calcium powder with D3.

justanja i do use a uvb and i use a uva bulb.he gets a small dose of natural direct sunlight for about an hour a day.this concerns me i live in a condo and for now i am forced to keep him inside due to the many hawks,bald eagles,and racoons that in habit cape canaveral i live just yards from the beach and an outside enclosure right now is just to dangerous.are the bulbs an adequate source for the time being?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
The UVB bulb will be sufficient, and you can add in the calcium every other day or so. There have been some studies that have actually said that the calcium powder with d3 in conjunction with a UVB bulb can cause D3 overdose which can be highly toxic to your tortoise.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Good Question. What is the best Calcium to give the Sulcatas?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Any of the calcium supplements are fine without the D3 if you are using a UVB bulb. Some of my torts really like the Ectotherm Tortoise Mineral Block that I got from Carolina Pet Supply which contains calcium also. I leave a cuttlebone in each enclosure for them too.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
Any of the calcium supplements are fine without the D3 if you are using a UVB bulb. Some of my torts really like the Ectotherm Tortoise Mineral Block that I got from Carolina Pet Supply which contains calcium also. I leave a cuttlebone in each enclosure for them too.

i too use a cuttlebone that i picked up from my local pet store it was for a bird but i dont believe there is any difference.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have put cuttle bone in the enclosure, but have never seen them touch it.

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i have never even thought that using a calcium w/ D3 and a UVB lighting setup could be hazardous...does anyone have anymore info on this? we are currently using both and would like to know a bit more about it before we continue doing so.

thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
we have stopped our use of calcium w/ D3 until we can find a calcium that does not contain D3. what calciums are you guys using that do not contain D3...ours will not chew cuddle bone. thanks for the input.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I do not have a Sulcata but I do have Greeks and DTs
I use JurassiCal they have it with and without D3
I have always used without D3 as I use a UVB bulb.

demjor19

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
JustAnja said:
The UVB bulb will be sufficient, and you can add in the calcium every other day or so. There have been some studies that have actually said that the calcium powder with d3 in conjunction with a UVB bulb can cause D3 overdose which can be highly toxic to your tortoise.

Crazy1 said:
I do not have a Sulcata but I do have Greeks and DTs
I use JurassiCal they have it with and without D3
I have always used without D3 as I use a UVB bulb.

i did a little research for the jurassiCal and it sounds pretty good! i think i read that they offer it w/ D3 and w/out D3. it's also phosphorous free. i think we will be trying this real soon. thanks for the help.

treebeard

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The hour of sunlight a day should be enough for him to synthesize plenty of his own vit D. I buy powdered calcium carbonate online through a vitamin/health store for $7/ pound. I only dust with a multi vit 1-2/week. If you give them a varied diet they will get many of their needed vit precursors

Status
Not open for further replies.