Calif. - You know, it's that place that's in a drought?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, at least you were finally able to get that job done. The rain shouldn't hurt it unless it figures out a way to get under and erode the dirt away.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Well, at least you were finally able to get that job done. The rain shouldn't hurt it unless it figures out a way to get under and erode the dirt away.

The problem we have is, our house sits way way below street level so I just pray everything was graded properly.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It's pouring here near Stockton! Everything is wet, wet, wet and cold and it's very windy. Such strange weather we've had lately

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We had a lot of rain yesterday, but sun is shining today.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
A live oak, over a century old, fell over last week. Broke a fence and downed all of the power and cable lines.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484852247.799576.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484852261.796831.jpg

Lots of mudslides and downed trees here.

Can't forget the good stuff though. Ground water replenished, lakes filled, daffodils are happy, and the occasional rainbow.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484852360.613734.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484852394.153127.jpg

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Where I live, near Santa Cruz, we've already surpassed last years total rainfall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh man, that tree's a shame. But on the bright side, look at all that firewood!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Converted to propane last year. We cleaned it up and are going to leave it as a garden root statue. We'll just build the fence around it. It looks really neat. Might put a pond under it and have the water trickle down the roots.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484889961.909865.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484889995.540235.jpg
In the second photo, you look closely and you'll see my onion tops! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484890058.595055.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484890096.435228.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice. There are a lot of lettuces that do ok during the winter, even freezing but staying alive. Look for "Spring Mix" seeds and try them next year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! Looks like very sandy soil. No wonder it didn't hold the tree. I can see a little box turtle using that jungle gym to escape his boundaries.

I have a couple of tree stumps in one of my tortoise yards. It's really amazing how quickly the termites and other bugs work to get it decomposed.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow! Looks like very sandy soil. No wonder it didn't hold the tree. I can see a little box turtle using that jungle gym to escape his boundaries.

I have a couple of tree stumps in one of my tortoise yards. It's really amazing how quickly the termites and other bugs work to get it decomposed.

We live on 8 acres with really diverse soil. Some areas sandy. Other areas will hold water for days after rain. Some areas you can't put a shovel into because you'll hit rock. In that area the soil is sandy but very fertile. Actually holds water really well.

Recently spoke to an arborist. He said, in addition to the soft, soggy soil, the trees are so thirsty from the drought that when rain comes, they collect as much water as they can. And this causes them to get so heavy that they tip over and lose limbs. Our neighbor said he cut a downed live oak in half and had water leak out, as if a house were on low, for a whole day.

It really is. I have real gratitude for the decomposers. One of my family's passions is collection wild mushrooms. Mostly Artists Conch, Red Belted Polypore, Lions Mane, Rose Conch and Turkey Tail. All of these work to decompose the trees and replenish the soil. All also have medicinal qualities and many are
anti-carcinogens. They taste great in teas too. Lions mane is a vegan delicacy if you are craving lobster.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Total downed 100+ year old live oaks for the year now at 6. :(

That's sad. I've heard the rancher across the street from me running his chain saw all day long yesterday. I was hoping he wasn't cutting down his almond orchard, but now, after reading your post, I'll bet he has some downed trees too.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
That's sad. I've heard the rancher across the street from me running his chain saw all day long yesterday. I was hoping he wasn't cutting down his almond orchard, but now, after reading your post, I'll bet he has some downed trees too.

Yeah. We're sad and a little anxious. Every loud noise brings images of more downed trees. Lots of deep breathes and meditation. We're having an arborist come out tomorrow to check branches over our homes and fences. I imagine a few trees will have to be cut down. Good News is we have maybe a hundred trees. One large canopy tree gone really changes the landscape. Tortoises will be happy. The yard will be expanded into the new sunny area.