California desert tortoise ran over with golf cart

Brouett

Location (City and/or State)
Lake Isabella
Hey everyone. Need some advice. Our 5year old desert tortoise was napping under our golf cart and my husband didn't see him. He ran him over but there doesn't appear to be any damage besides a pin drop of blood on the outside of his shell. He was scared directly following and hiding in his shell. He came out when my husband started talking to him and is walking around now. I guess I just want a little reassurance of someone who's had a similar situation. Or knowledge of his survival rate. I called his veterinarian and she just told me to watch for signs of difficulty breathing and of that happened to take him to the emergency vet an hour away. Please help we love him so much and my husband is beside himself.

MVIMG_20200430_163342.jpg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Hey everyone. Need some advice. Our 5year old desert tortoise was napping under our golf cart and my husband didn't see him. He ran him over but there doesn't appear to be any damage besides a pin drop of blood on the outside of his shell. He was scared directly following and hiding in his shell. He came out when my husband started talking to him and is walking around now. I guess I just want a little reassurance of someone who's had a similar situation. Or knowledge of his survival rate. I called his veterinarian and she just told me to watch for signs of difficulty breathing and of that happened to take him to the emergency vet an hour away. Please help we love him so much and my husband is beside himself.
It's okay, these things happen and you just got to learn from them. I think he'll be fine, I saw a gopher tortoise with a chunk of its shell missing and the only thing separating the outside from in was a thin layer of skin that had sand piled on it, looked like the skin would tear any moment. Animals in nature have to deal with being run over by cars, getting their shell crushed by the jaws of some predator, being stuck in fires.. As long as the drop of blood is the only thing you see, I think he'll be okay. Is there something wrong with his mouth or am I seeing things? But just take a deep breath, I can imagine the panic you're feeling. Tortoises are very hardy, I think he'll make it and thrive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you love him, build him an enclosure so things like this cannot happen. When you let them roam free in the areas where you conduct your life, things like this, or worse, happen.

You've broken his shell and probably the underlying bone too. There is not really anything you can do about it. In time it will heal, as long as this, or something else, doesn't happen to it again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have ou looked at his plastron (his under side)?

Brouett

Lake Isabella
It's okay, these things happen and you just got to learn from them. I think he'll be fine, I saw a gopher tortoise with a chunk of its shell missing and the only thing separating the outside from in was a thin layer of skin that had sand piled on it, looked like the skin would tear any moment. Animals in nature have to deal with being run over by cars, getting their shell crushed by the jaws of some predator, being stuck in fires.. As long as the drop of blood is the only thing you see, I think he'll be okay. Is there something wrong with his mouth or am I seeing things? But just take a deep breath, I can imagine the panic you're feeling. Tortoises are very hardy, I think he'll make it and thrive.
Thank you so much for your reply. He was a rescue from a woman that didn't know how to care for him so his beak is offset. It's gotten a lot better the last year I've had him with proper nutrition and sunlight. He seems to be back to his normal self, eating, foraging etc. I just worry about all his internal stuff we don't see. We just love him so much I wanted to get a second opinion. Thank you!

Brouett

Lake Isabella
If you love him, build him an enclosure so things like this cannot happen. When you let them roam free in the areas where you conduct your life, things like this, or worse, happen.

You've broken his shell and probably the underlying bone too. There is not really anything you can do about it. In time it will heal, as long as this, or something else, doesn't happen to it again.
I wasn't looking for judgement he has an enclosure but love to forage our mulberries while we do yardwork. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wasn't looking for judgement he has an enclosure but love to forage our mulberries while we do yardwork. Thanks
Judgement? You ran your tortoise over because it was somewhere that it shouldn't have been. What does that have to do with judgement. You made a terrible mistake. I hope you learned a lesson from it.

When you say mulberries, I hope you are talking about leaves and not fruit. Fruit is bad for them. Just telling you in case you didn't know that. I hope that is not seen as judgmental too. I just don't like to see tortoise eating the wrong foods or getting hurt. If that is judgmental, then I'm guilty as charged.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Judgement? You ran your tortoise over because it was somewhere that it shouldn't have been. What does that have to do with judgement. You made a terrible mistake. I hope you learned a lesson from it.

When you say mulberries, I hope you are talking about leaves and not fruit. Fruit is bad for them. Just telling you in case you didn't know that. I hope that is not seen as judgmental too. I just don't like to see tortoise eating the wrong foods or getting hurt. If that is judgmental, then I'm guilty as charged.
Uh oh.. Tom is on fire again..?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
But on a serious note, he is right, and don't take it as judgement. He replied to this thread with the sole purpose to inform and help, whatever way that will make it come across as clear as possible. If you don't take offense and just heed the advice, things like this won't happen? I hope your tortoise is okay.. Must be stressful

Brouett

Lake Isabella

You know what's always good? When you kick someone when they're down. Probably best to not be condescending aswell, or maybe your mom didn't teach you that lesson either. Mistakes happen, but I'm sure you've never made one of those, right?
PS. The mulberry trees are fruitless, maybe with all that knowledge you have you could be helpful to people who don't know as much as you do. Though it seems like you'd rather assume things you don't know anything about and treat them poorly.

Brouett

Lake Isabella
But on a serious note, he is right, and don't take it as judgement. He replied to this thread with the sole purpose to inform and help, whatever way that will make it come across as clear as possible. If you don't take offense and just heed the advice, things like this won't happen? I hope your tortoise is okay.. Must be stressful
It is stressful, and I appreciate your kind response. I guess when I hold knowledge someone might not have I HELP instead of assuming ignorance. My tortoise is very well cared for and mistakes happen. This was a freak accident as he's only out of the enclosure to hang out with us while doing yardwork. It's just so hurtful that people have to be the "big dog" and make other people feel small... Everyone makes mistakes. A little compassion goes a very long way

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
It is stressful, and I appreciate your kind response. I guess when I hold knowledge someone might not have I HELP instead of assuming ignorance. My tortoise is very well cared for and mistakes happen. This was a freak accident as he's only out of the enclosure to hang out with us while doing yardwork. It's just so hurtful that people have to be the "big dog" and make other people feel small... Everyone makes mistakes. A little compassion goes a very long way
Mistakes do happen, and that's how we learn. I've made many mistakes throughout the years of keeping my animals. However, once you spend a while on the forum, you'll see he isn't a mean person, he just has seen so many mistakes over the years he doesn't have time to sugarcoat or be super nice about a mistake he has probably seen a million times- letting the tortoise outside of its enclosure to roam. Please don't get mad at him, I see why you're getting mad but he REALLY just wants to help your tortoise. Keep us updated on how your tortoise is doing.

Brouett

Lake Isabella
He's resumed normal activity in his enclosure. Eating and drinking. I understand where he's coming from but I just don't see a reason to kick someone while they're down or push people to not seek help from those with knowledge and experience because they're met with angst and resistance. I'm a certified dog trainer and of I met my clients with "you're an idiot" mentality the dogs in my classes would suffer from me "being tired of seeing people make mistakes". Compassion and understanding is the only way to have people be receptive. I appreciate your help.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
He's resumed normal activity in his enclosure. Eating and drinking. I understand where he's coming from but I just don't see a reason to kick someone while they're down or push people to not seek help from those with knowledge and experience because they're met with angst and resistance. I'm a certified dog trainer and of I met my clients with "you're an idiot" mentality the dogs in my classes would suffer from me "being tired of seeing people make mistakes". Compassion and understanding is the only way to have people be receptive. I appreciate your help.
That's great! Since he's eating and drinking, and only appears to have that small blood spot, I think he is fine! Yeah, I see what your saying. I just don't think he meant to be like "Hey I'm going to be mean, let me make this person feel worse about herself," or make you feel like an idiot. Idk. Some people just have an abrasive personality.

KronksMom

Illinois
He will still be sore for a while though. That blood looks like it's coming from his shell and in order for blood to come from there it would be like you or me breaking a bone. So be extra gentle with him for a while. He needs time to heal. Tortoises do everything more slowly than we do, including healing.