California - Marijuana Legalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Yay or nay?

I'm surprised this hasn't happened in Canada already, but its awesome to see it happening in Cali. Do you think it will pass? I think we are a bit more liberal with stuff like that in Canada which is why im surprised it hasn't already happened in Ontario or British Columbia yet. So how do you think it will pan out in the US? Would be a great start in my opinion if it passed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
100% for it. Didn't we learn anything from prohibition?! You can't tell grown-ups what they can and can't do with their own bodies. I think they should make all drugs legal. People who are going to do drugs already do. If it were suddenly legal to shoot heroin I wouldn't do it, and I think you are an idiot if you do. If, on the other hand, I wanted to do it, no law is going to stop me.

The war on drugs is an expensive abomination and helps no one. It is criminal to let it continue.

BTW, I don't do drugs of any kind any wouldn't start even it became legal. I just don't think the government should be telling adults what they can and can't do, as long as they aren't hurting anybody else. The same laws that apply to alcohol should apply to drugs. No driving, no fighting, etc...

M

Maggie Cummings

It's my generation who made this happen. All of us going to jail for pot and fighting the government to make sentences less harsh. It's my generation who had to smoke crappy Mexican weed for years, so killer green weed could be discovered and cultivated...Not that I know anything like that ya know...:p...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Being a libetarian I am all for legalazation, and this from someone who has never touched a drug in his life. The only problem I see is personal resp. to many people are gonna wanna do drugs ruin their bodies and then look to the goverment for help.

chadk

10 Year Member!
No doubt - gov't makes drug legal, person get's hooked, person sues gov't, gov't starts giving out free drugs to the poor hooked addicts and raises my taxes to pay for their drugs, treatments, and health care... we end up being a nanny state either way...

dannomite

5 Year Member
Maggie, not that I know anything about it either but if I did I would say a big thanks to your generation :)

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
We already pay for rehab and hospitalization of addicted persons who do not have the funds or insurance to cover treatment. Nothing would change except the money we spend on drug trask forces, incarcination, trials, etc. could be spent on treatement and education. Legalizing drugs will remove the "naughty" factor and take away the mystery element. The money the government would make from the taxation (just like cigaretts and liquor) would go along way turning around or debt.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
chadk said:
No doubt - gov't makes drug legal, person get's hooked, person sues gov't, gov't starts giving out free drugs to the poor hooked addicts and raises my taxes to pay for their drugs, treatments, and health care... we end up being a nanny state either way...

I may have worded it differently...but I agree with Chad.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Okay, from a guy who spent most of his teen years stoned (and drunk), who then became a cop for a short time (ironic isn't it?) who hasn't touched marijuana in over 25 years, I say legalize it! It's always been amazing to me how alcohol (which I do partake in!) is legal, socially acceptable and actually publically promoted all over the place and that's okay. But if you get caught with some pot we waste thousands of taxpayer dollars arresting that person, taking them to court and in some cases locking them up. I mean no disrespect, but it's time for the good old boy, gin sipping, suit wearing, white hair lawmakers to give up the drug hysteria campaign they've been trying to propogate in the country for the last 50 years. They've wasted billions of taxpayer dollars because of their own ignorance and disbelief.
And if and when it ever becomes legalized where I live, I still won't use it. But that's my choice. Make it legal and let people make their own choice.

S

stells

Abit of pot is no worse than drinking or smoking cigarettes...i spent quite some time stoned when i was younger... had the odd one since being older too... if it is legalized over there let me know... i'll be moving :p

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I will be voting for legalization, and urging all my friends and family to do the same.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Shelly said:
I will be voting for legalization, and urging all my friends and family to do the same.

Its nice to agree with you on something.:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If it does become legalized, it would probably be by prescription. Where I live.....not saying where any of you live, because I don't know about that......there are so many crooked doctors that prescribe any kind of pill or drug you want, so it would be very easy for anyone to get weed too. Unfortunately here in NY the system is so corrupt everything is already available to anyone who wants it.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
I agree with many others who have said to legalize and tax it. In many states its already decriminalized, so lets just take it a step further. I'd rather see some revenue come from this thriving underground industry.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Agreed that "herb' (and other intoxicants) remaining illegal is a huge waste of time and $$$ that could be more wisely spent elsewhere.

And the taxes from legal cultivation/sales would be very helpful. I'd like to see a reasonably priced "permit" sold to gardeners eho prefer to grow a few plants of their own, too...they can display said permit right next to their personal 'pot patch' of 4-6 plants, perhaps. :COOL:

Then, emulate such laws here in The Republic O' Tejas! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.