Calling all Pancakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapjack torts

5 Year Member
There's got to be some more people out there? Looks like this thread doesn't see much action. Hahaha!

Anyone?

Hello?

:p

Let's see some pictures!!!

Attachments

• 0515091624.jpg
    0515091624.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 109

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
One of our club members up here in sac has 3 of them... i cant believe they are so soft!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
There are plenty of pictures of Pancake tortoises in the picture section of the forum. The species sections are for asking questions. :D Just do a search of the forum for Pancakes ;)

Danny

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have 2.4 Pancakes. I think the main reason that you don't see much "action" on this thread is that Pancake tortoises really don't do much! LOL

I have had a couple of mine for many years, before the recent wave of imports a couple of years ago. The group that I have is made up of both wild caught and captive born tortoises. Suprisingly, it's the wild caught tortoises that are more outgoing and unaffraid and not the captive borns! One female in particular comes barreling out from under her rock hiding area whenever my hand is in sight, expecting some food to come up her way!

Despite their general lack of interaction they have always been one of my favorite tortoise species and one of the few that I keep that are not Northern Mediterranean species.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
i have two male pancakes that i just recently acquired via the for sale section of this forum and i absolutely adore them. mine are housed differently than the ones in the pic though based upon world chelonian trust recommendations.

a question for the forum - i'm feeding different kinds of greens and timothy and alfalfa to mine and have avoided mazuri because of the soy content. (they were fed mazuri by their past owner). what else are others feeding theirs?

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
I have a couple. I guess I need to put my camera to work and take a few photos of them.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I've got a pretty nice sized little group here, and I love the guys.... I can't seem to keep up with my camera, but I have it on my "to-do" list to get some updated photos of my pancakes, hopefully tomorrow. Like GB said, they are usually shy, and when set up "properly," with access to plenty of deep hiding places, you rarely see them. So some, it's a turnoff.... To us, it makes us appreciate the times when we do see them sticking their heads out. They're characters, and truly escape artists. A few friends of mine in AZ have some incubating. No real luck yet with mine, but I'm working hard on it!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"i'm feeding different kinds of greens and timothy and alfalfa to mine and have avoided mazuri because of the soy content. (they were fed mazuri by their past owner). what else are others feeding theirs?"

I feed mine a constantly varied, good quality diet of about 90-95% greens. Along with that they have constant access to either timothy, alfalfa or orchard grass hay and calcium carbonate. I have never seen them eat any hay or consume any calcium. But I always allow them the option to.

I do also feed them Mazuri pellets once a week mixed with a plate of greens. I have also never seen them show any interest whatsoever in the Mazuri pellets.

Once a week I also feed them some various vegetables mixed with greens which they do consume most of.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have had very good luck with ours. They are one of the favorites here. Ours come alive when the time comes they get to go outside. Ours eat a variety of greens with endive and oputia being the favorites. They also LOVE when they get Mazuri and dandelion flowers.

flapjack torts

5 Year Member
Wow! I'm so glad to see there are other pancake people out there to share photos and info! I'd love to see enclosure pictures :) ::hint hint:: Mine mostly are in their Zoo med turtle table..but I just got a 125 gallon pond liner so ideas are floating around.

As for your question...mine mostly eat spring mix (minus any spinach), collard/turnip greens and their favs seem to be squash, romaine and dandelion greens. I think romaine as the potato chip of the reptile world. lol My uromastyx and torts seems to love it but it's not so great for them. I grow my own hibiscus and they will nibble on the leaves and blooms. I'm going to start my own prickly pear cactus patch so we'll see how that goes. Are you feeding dry timothy and alfalfa? I've been curious lately if mine would be interested :)

Thanks for sharing and I'm going to go look for some more pictures!

earthyman71 said:
i have two male pancakes that i just recently acquired via the for sale section of this forum and i absolutely adore them. mine are housed differently than the ones in the pic though based upon world chelonian trust recommendations.

a question for the forum - i'm feeding different kinds of greens and timothy and alfalfa to mine and have avoided mazuri because of the soy content. (they were fed mazuri by their past owner). what else are others feeding theirs?

Excellent! As a side note...saw the Facebook link too...sweet ;) Ya got another fan!

TylerStewart said:
I just started a new thread with some pics from tonight. Here's a link:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14101.html

Status
Not open for further replies.