Calling all Star keepers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Okay so my hubby purchased an Indian Star, that I named Indie..I am a little apprehensive about the care. I bought another powersun light and I am keeping him on aspen. I bought another thermo reader but still getting about 99 under basking area and 88 to 90 around tub. I don't want to over heat Indie...I just ordered "Star Tortoise" on Amazon so I can really become more knowledgable with the Star.. Okay so any advice..substrate, lighting , temps?? Thank you for taking the time to help. I posted a pic of Indie and I kinda noticed he had a darker head..kinda of a coffee color..is that normal? Ty

Kel

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 127

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Change the aspen out for Eco Earth, use 100W Powersun MV bulb, mini deep dome, lamp stand, and under take heat pad for your hide box, sphagnum moss inside your hide, feed mix of greens, Mazuri, and Marion's Red sticks. The color will vary on each animal, no two are exactly alike. If you can find these product I carry all of them on my website.

goldie

5 Year Member
California
Hi John:) Okay I changed everything and added a little sand with the eco earth. Indie loves the humid hide box and I keep that area the warmest. I might have to order some Red sticks..since I don't know what that is. What is the name of your website? I bought 3 bags of Mazuri so I will try a little tomorrow with the greens. As far as the color..it is a little weird with lighter legs and arms but a darker face..but I still think it is beautiful. K

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
John's website is www.coastalsilkworms.com. Not everything is available at the west coast location, so if you don't see something try the Florida location. I think all the advice he gave you is very good. Good luck with your stars!

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Indie looks gorgeous! I demand more pics soon. :D :D
How old is he/she? How much does he weight? I like to compare sizes. :cool:

goldie

5 Year Member
California
Sky2Mina said:
Thanks:) I ordered a scale so should be here soon. I tried to take more pics but I guess Indie got scared and went to the bathroom on me. lol Indie is pretty heavy but still small... about 1 inch but wide and so cute. I love your star... how old,size?? I love looking at other torts!

goldie said:
Sky2Mina said:
Thanks:) I ordered a scale so should be here soon. I tried to take more pics but I guess Indie got scared and went to the bathroom on me. lol Indie is pretty heavy but still small... about 1 inch but wide and so cute. I love your star... how old,size?? I love looking at other torts!
By the way I love your Star!! Did you make that picture? It should be an ad!!

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
goldie said:
Sky2Mina said:

goldie said:
Sky2Mina said:
By the way I love your Star!! Did you make that picture? It should be an ad!!

Thank You. :)
Indie is 1 Inch? Wow, she must be tiny (maybe you can take a pic with something to compare her size).
Luka is 2 inch something and 73grams. Maybe around 10 Months old. She doubled her weight in 3 months, which I think is amazing. But I always like to compare size/weight. Not sure what's 'normal' for her weight/size, but when I got her, she was probably too skinny. :D Luka also pees on me, when she's stressed. :rolleyes:
Does your star sleep a lot?
Oh, and yeah, i made that picture - but what could it be an ad for? torts? :p

Hope you can make a few pics of your little star soon. There are not so many star tortoise owners in the forum.
:tort::tort::tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.