Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

Deepali Patil

most of the question on this platform are food related but couldnt find anything related to mating. I have a male star tortoise more than 10 yrs of age, he has been showing his private part more often these days which i guess is maybe a sign of him wanting to mate. For dogs you can go to vets for this but what about torts. Any Idea.? pls reply
Hi Rahul,

I think its normal because my LEO also shows his private part very often, while bathing or many times when I touched him.

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
Hi Shanu,

I also have few questions?

Hi,

But only one thing I worried whether is it right to use soil when my stars are not used to it means whether they will be stressed or enjoy the change?

And another thing when soil comes as substrate, it may have bugs or earth worms etc so in that case how i can protect my stars from infection or irritation
Actually the bugs and earthworm in the soil won't harm your tortoises.... Just make sure they arent the red ants or the large black ants... The soil should be chemical free and soil is the best substrate to have... 4-5 inch deep layer of soil... Make sure the soil is just moist and not wet and liquid like soft clay....

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
most of the question on this platform are food related but couldnt find anything related to mating. I have a male star tortoise more than 10 yrs of age, he has been showing his private part more often these days which i guess is maybe a sign of him wanting to mate. For dogs you can go to vets for this but what about torts. Any Idea.? pls reply
I have three adult male tortoises and in this rainy season they were just mounting each other for ***. That got me thinking, can't they differentiate between male and female.... I need to dig deeper into this topic so I'm also in the process of knowledge gathering.... And most vets in India don't know how to sex a tortoise, they cannot differentiate between male and female unless they get an x-ray. I'm also searching for suitable female for the 3 studs that I have.

Manish MAthew

INDIA
star shanu??? i'm just shanu.....

and regarding the law....... who's disclosing your identity and address??? this thread is just to HELP people who have already ACQUIRED the star tortoise....... so this is to make the chances of those stars to survive BETTER and live a Better life in captivity...... look many of us have got the stars and most people have got them just because they think that star tortoises are lucky... would bring in more money...profit and so on...... such orthodox people....... i saved Max from such people ....... and he is already tamed i guess and just simply can't survive in the wild as you can see the temperature in their habitat is way above normal and they simply can't survive there simply because the environment is changing rapidly.... and to such drastic levels that the tortoises especially the tamed/pet ones....... so i think the law doesn't really apply here........ what does the government do after confiscating these star torts.... do you really know!
they just dump them in zoos in unhygienic enclosures.... poor diet and they ultimately die..! :( :( i have seen this with my own 2 eyes in the zoo in jaipur..... there were 800 tortoises!!!! can you imagine??? all confiscated from illegal traders and other sources!!! and they were all severely pyramiding and only fed carrots and cucumbers... sometimes the same fruits and veggies that are given to the rabbits and monkeys.... so whats the sense of the law when the torts are gonna die anyway....... the better solution i suggest is that some really caring individuals like the ones in this forum house these creatures and in future if possible start a breeding program to restore these tort's wild population........ this way we can have nice pets as well as help mother nature and the wildlife/STAR of our country.......... i hope you understand........

totally agree with you bro..!!! This is true I have seen tortoise in the zoo & they live in extremely harsh conditions. The zookeepers don't even see whether there is a baby or the big one.. They do same things for all. I feel very bad especially for the little ones..
Bro you are doing a great job and keep informing us about the star tortoise because it is very difficult to get detailed information about star tortoise..!
Thanks For your guidance...! Appreciate your work

PNM

Need help

I have two stars.. male n female.. since 15 days my female one is just sitting at one place, walk only at evening when she is hungry. Before 15 days she is active and roaming around.. also she eat less.. and only eat okra. Before she ate hibiscus flower and leaves, fenugreek, cilantro, okra, wheat grass etc.. is there any problem with her? Pls help me asap..

Manish MAthew

INDIA
IMG-20160905-WA0012.jpeg
These are my two baby star tortoise and I named them Jelly & Belly.. Its been 2 weeks since I bought them. Seriously to have a tortoise especially baby is very responsible job. We have to take care of them a lot. The biggest prblm is that we don't have any vets for them so we have to only take good care of them..

IMG-20160908-WA0005.jpg
This was my first enclosure which I built for them from last 2 weeks they were living in this. I had made this with a Cardboard. this was the temporary enclosure. Now I am building a new one for them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the looks of that enclosure. Are you making the new one out of wood so that you can moisten the substrate? What is the white food in the dish?

Manish MAthew

INDIA
@Yvonne G
Thats cucumber in that.. Yes I am making a new one but its not of wood instead its of glass.. Till now I had just made a little bit and now I have to do some changes in that...
here i am sending the my new enclosure.. Its not complete yet but soon I will do that..

IMG-20160923-WA0010.jpg

Ed mitch

That enclosure is good but maybe put tape around the sides around 2 inches up. If a tortoise can see through something it thinks it can go through it!

Deepali Patil

@Yvonne G
Thats cucumber in that.. Yes I am making a new one but its not of wood instead its of glass.. Till now I had just made a little bit and now I have to do some changes in that...
here i am sending the my new enclosure.. Its not complete yet but soon I will do that..

View attachment 188498
Hey.. Your enclosure is very nice. It seems you have planted Grass and some plants in enclosure. Is it right? or its all artificial?

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
finally made a new enclosure for my lil stars...

I see some taping. I'm assuming it is just to hold the soil and that the base is well placed (maybe with nails). Because my torts are over 2 years old now, and they are getting stronger day by day to push things around.

Charlie ❤️

New Delhi,jaipur
Can tortoise owner from delhi and jaipur inbox me their contact details? I was looking for a vet out here, shop where i can get enclosure and i also need some advice for my boy Charlie...

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Can tortoise owner from delhi and jaipur inbox me their contact details? I was looking for a vet out here, shop where i can get enclosure and i also need some advice for my boy Charlie...
it is really hard to find vets anywhere in India who would be willing to treat tortoises and are capable of doing so... you can take advice from great people on this forum, see if the problems can get sorted out. Regarding the enclosure, you won't get ready made enclosures. you need to have them custom built.

Charlie ❤️

New Delhi,jaipur
it is really hard to find vets anywhere in India who would be willing to treat tortoises and are capable of doing so... you can take advice from great people on this forum, see if the problems can get sorted out. Regarding the enclosure, you won't get ready made enclosures. you need to have them custom built.
Can experienced people inbox me your no.so i can talk on phone and discuss... including shanu...

yash

I have two star tortoise both are two years old.
Can I use garden soil and coconut coir mixture has a substrate ?
and sphagnum moss inside their hiding place ?

rest7773

yes u can...u can also plant spider plant...or coleous aelovera..phasies n petunia...evn mint in their enclosures if u r keeping it in balconies