1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

Discussion in 'Indian Star and Burmese Star tortoises' started by shanu303, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

The tortoise looks like it has a great shell and has been growing well. From the shell, we can only tell about it's past care, and seeing smooth growth with no pyramiding at all is a very good sign. As far as overall health now, please read this post I made on this question:

https://tortoiseforum.org/posts/1581234/

This tortoise looks to be 2-3 year old. It is impossible to tell for sure, but it is definitely still a juvenile. As such it is also impossible to sex at this size. Males and females look identical until they start developing secondary sexual characteristics - normally at about 5" (13 cm) or so.
    Ruchi likes this.
  2. Bhanu

Bhanu New Member

Sir, my star was a 5or 4 months old i regert it actually i dont know tortoises were bitten by rats when it hibernates my was bitten upto flesh actually
    rat eaten up all its flesh of front legs even with nails other leg has only two nails becoz of this it cant able to eat i taken it to vet he treated with 3 injections
    on the front legs and after 7days i tried all things it can eat but no results so i taken it to vet again he said give glucose and energy drops daily
    after 1 day i figured it out how to feed that with dropller that no exp with torts and i started to feed her all things she eat with my hand sir so please help me how to make it to eat himself any ideas, is torts grow back thier flesh and nails.do you know anything plz post
  3. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Bhanu, I am sorry to hear about your tortoise.

If you haven’t already, please go make a new post about the rat bite and subsequent care in the “Health” section. People will see it more easily than they will while it is at the bottom of this older thread. You’ll get more answers.
  4. RickyGoldsmith

RickyGoldsmith Member 5 Year Member

Yes. It is illegal to keep. Just like most other native endangered species (IRN Parrot etc). Now if and whether Star is an endangered species is something arguable.