Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

Sruthi

Location (City and/or State)
Hyderabad
Anyone plz tell me how to treat a tortoise with eye infection...can I dip him in carrot juice for 30 mins...?????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anyone plz tell me how to treat a tortoise with eye infection...can I dip him in carrot juice for 30 mins...?????
Carrot juice does nothing for infection. . . it's a nutrition remedy. If your tortoise has swollen shut eyes because he has stopped eating, then soaking in carrot juice and water helps get nutrients into him. But if the eyes are infected the carrots will do nothing.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
Carrot juice does nothing for infection. . . it's a nutrition remedy. If your tortoise has swollen shut eyes because he has stopped eating, then soaking in carrot juice and water helps get nutrients into him. But if the eyes are infected the carrots will do nothing.
Can I use Ciprofloxacin eye drops for treatment...???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hesitate to use prescription medication without a doctor's approval, but there are eye salves and ointments you can buy over the counter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm in the U.S. my selections are probably not available in India

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said before I would not use a medication like that unless it was agreed to by the vet.

Sruthi

Hyderabad
We don't have specialized vets in india for reptiles...so anyone can give any suggestions how to treat it...its opening his one eye...

Sruthi

Hyderabad
Like I said before I would not use a medication like that unless it was agreed to by the vet.
What to do if he don't eat regularly...I'm trying every food but he's nt eating...he only ate 2 times after I bought him that's it....

Sruthi

Hyderabad
thanks,this forum taught me a lot abt how to raise the torts in general.
Stars need special care and that word "special" needs to explained depending on the location.It's great initiative that you have taken, i am there to help you out in this. :)
Can u plz tell me what to do if my tortoise is not eating...I bought him few weeks before...he only ate 2 times...

Tes

The Netherlands
Can u plz tell me what to do if my tortoise is not eating...I bought him few weeks before...he only ate 2 times...

There can be multiple reasons why your tortoise isn't eating, most probably related to the husbandry of the tortoise.
Therefore, check the caresheets that are available here and see wat you have to change in your husbandry to get your tortoise to eat.

This is a very helpful care sheet specifically tailored to Indian star owners:

and this:

Read the caresheets thoroughly and figure out what you have to change in your set-up!

Sruthi

Hyderabad
There can be multiple reasons why your tortoise isn't eating, most probably related to the husbandry of the tortoise.
Therefore, check the caresheets that are available here and see wat you have to change in your husbandry to get your tortoise to eat.

This is a very helpful care sheet specifically tailored to Indian star owners:

and this:

Read the caresheets thoroughly and figure out what you have to change in your set-up!
Ok thank u...

Aaru.

UDAIPUR
i've been viewing different posts and threads where one or the other owners living in india are seeking an advise from star owners in INDIA...
and the prime reason for that is most of the advise, help articles, terminology(except for the general ones) don't apply here in india.... it seems to be the irony that the star is native to India and India lacks the most crucial needs, accessories, necessities etc. So i thought instead of posting things in scrambled ways in different threads why not create a new thread that would be centred to help and solve issues of people like us living in india......

so i'm calling on all star owners living in india to give a little bit of intro about you and your tort( its age, weight, size etc) and where you live ( like state or even better .. city) , pictures of your star, enclosure, what diet you feed them etc........ this info would help us asses each other, solve each other's issues and problems and also teach us new better was of keeping our stars.......

So let's see how many Star owners from INDIA!!! :) :) :) :)

I'm Shanu and i live in Jaipur Rajasthan, INDIA :D

i have a 10 year old MALE Indian star tortoise natively belonging to Kutch Gujarat....... i rescued him from a friend of my friend.... and he was previously wild caught and that explains his pyramiding.....but he's still very handsome :)

Here is Max:
View attachment 41321

Photo0723_zps73575bb6.jpg

and this is his outdoor enclosure:
photo0063_zps189f49e0.jpg

His Diet:
hibiscus flower and greens
cilantro(dhaniya)
fenugreek(methi) in winter
cucumber(kheera)
lawn grass( variety)
Hi i have a star tortoise. His name is Aaru. I don't know his age because he was previously owned by someone else. We live in Udaipur, Rajasthan. I just got him a week ago and I'm learning new things about him everyday.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2086869154.jpg
    Snapchat-2086869154.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 14

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Hi i have a star tortoise. His name is Aaru. I don't know his age because he was previously owned by someone else. We live in Udaipur, Rajasthan. I just got him a week ago and I'm learning new things about him everyday.
Welcome. You'll find plenty of like minded people here.

You seem to have a nice spacious setup for your tort. I'm sure you'll take good care of him. Please be sure to keep him safe from predators.

Aaru.

UDAIPUR
Welcome. You'll find plenty of like minded people here.

You seem to have a nice spacious setup for your tort. I'm sure you'll take good care of him. Please be sure to keep him safe from predators.
Thank you so much.
I'll keep the advice in mind. He's big so mostly he can protect himself from many animals but other than that we keep checking up on him often and we're planning to keep him in at night. But the scary thing is I've heard many of my neighbours who've previously had or own tortoises that people can break in at night to steal tortoises. It just makes my blood boil someone could do such a thing.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Thank you so much.
I'll keep the advice in mind. He's big so mostly he can protect himself from many animals but other than that we keep checking up on him often and we're planning to keep him in at night. But the scary thing is I've heard many of my neighbours who've previously had or own tortoises that people can break in at night to steal tortoises. It just makes my blood boil someone could do such a thing.
Yes. I would term some humans as predators too. :)

But when I earlier referred to, I meant mostly stray dogs and one canines. I've seen reports here of negligence and accidents, where torts were severely hurt (shells cracked).

If your garden area is not secure enough, then yes, keeping them in would be a wise choice. On the other hand, if it is only about surveillance, then you could consider installing some surveillance cameras.

An open space, like what you have in the picture, is always a good thing for the torts. That's almost an immaculate native habitat.

By the way, If I'm correct @shanu303 lives in Rajasthan too. You should check to see if he's still active and interested, and talk to him. He may have compiled a good number of local resources that'd come handy to you.

Aaru.

UDAIPUR
Yes. I would term some humans as predators too. :)

But when I earlier referred to, I meant mostly stray dogs and one canines. I've seen reports here of negligence and accidents, where torts were severely hurt (shells cracked).

If your garden area is not secure enough, then yes, keeping them in would be a wise choice. On the other hand, if it is only about surveillance, then you could consider installing some surveillance cameras.

An open space, like what you have in the picture, is always a good thing for the torts. That's almost an immaculate native habitat.

By the way, If I'm correct @shanu303 lives in Rajasthan too. You should check to see if he's still active and interested, and talk to him. He may have compiled a good number of local resources that'd come handy to you.
Yeah we do have stray dogs and cats near by. The dogs can't enter but cats do, so do cats hurt them too?
Yes I'll check in with @shanu303. Thx