Came home and found my Russian in his soak bowl (cold weather and light had gone out)

Serperit

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey all, my family and I came home to find that the basking light had gone out. My tortoise’s table is right outside under good cover and enclosed.

But I’m worried because when I came to check on him, he was inside his water/soak bowl. The weather has started to get cold here on the West Coast and I’m wondering if he’ll get sick even though I replaced the dead bulb and am getting him warmed up again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Current status for him is that he seemed to be awake when I picked him up, dried him, then placed him under the light.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Should be fine they are tough. Just monitor and getting heat reinstated and tortoise under was a good move. Ensure it eats tomorrow and gets back to normal routine. He will have chosen to go in the water bowl to hydrate / soak/ drink. The water bowl should not be deep and ideally a flat terracotta plant saucer to avoid drowning.

Serperit

California
Should be fine they are tough. Just monitor and getting heat reinstated and tortoise under was a good move. Ensure it eats tomorrow and gets back to normal routine. He will have chosen to go in the water bowl to hydrate / soak/ drink. The water bowl should not be deep and ideally a flat terracotta plant saucer to avoid drowning.

yeah. I’m just surprised he went in there in the dark, but he IS a burrower haha

luckily it’s a shallow bowl! I’m just hoping he went in there right as we got home.

Are there any signs I should keep an eye on to know if he’s not doing well?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They normally can take pretty cold temps, 55-60. Wet cold temps are not good, but as long as you warmed him up and he could have gotten out of the water himself then he's likely fine.
Just keep an eye on him next few days or so.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, my family and I came home to find that the basking light had gone out. My tortoise’s table is right outside under good cover and enclosed.

But I’m worried because when I came to check on him, he was inside his water/soak bowl. The weather has started to get cold here on the West Coast and I’m wondering if he’ll get sick even though I replaced the dead bulb and am getting him warmed up again. Any advice would be appreciated.

Current status for him is that he seemed to be awake when I picked him up, dried him, then placed him under the light.
Where in CA? Its too cold for them to be outside full time right now if you don't want to hibernate him, but its too warm and inconsistent to hibernate him.

Serperit

California
Where in CA? Its too cold for them to be outside full time right now if you don't want to hibernate him, but its too warm and inconsistent to hibernate him.

Bay Area. More along the South Bay. We usually keep his light/heater open through the day. Then bring him in for the night. I’m planning to prep his inside/evenin enclosure with some better substrate though because I’m thinking of bringing him inside for the Winter.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Soubss like a plan it needs to be inside! For health regular checks eyes, nose and claws all good. This can be part of soak routine. Weighing is also invaluable as you will see weight gain and loss. Very quickly. Get a notebook and log date and weight and any major activitues. I weight weekly on a Sunday after soaks before food!