camper as a out door enclosure?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Anyone ever tried turning a camper into an outdoor enclosure......?????

I have one that's gutted inside and its just sitting here getting ready for the scrap yard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see why not. You can make additions and tweak it a bit with more insulation, etc. You might find it hard to get to the tortoise once he's way up in back though. I'm assuming you really meant camper SHELL, and not a regular camper???

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I'm thinking wheels off, on the ground. Its a gutted camper, floor and all. What I like is it is insulated, has elec and plumbing run in it. Its just a thought. My husband got it because we restored a vintage camper last year, but this one needs to much work for us so its getting scrapped. Maybe its just that I think I can turn anything into tortoise use lol

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How about a picture? You could make it the heated part of an outdoor enclosure. I'm not sure, I am actually a visual thinker :) :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
How about a picture? You could make it the heated part of an outdoor enclosure. I'm not sure, I am actually a visual thinker :) :)
Yep, was thinking for a heated night house, guess I should have said that to begin with huh :)

Prairie Mom

Anyone ever tried turning a camper into an outdoor enclosure......?????

I have one that's gutted inside and its just sitting here getting ready for the scrap yard.
If anyone can do it...IT'S YOU!!!

Post pictures of this fabulous creation if and when you go for it:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As long as it allows sunlight in, and is escape proof, I don't see any problems.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think it could end up being a great usable addition and add some visual humor to the mix. Makes me wonder why nobody has tried it before. You will be a trend setter.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm thinking wheels off, on the ground. Its a gutted camper, floor and all. What I like is it is insulated, has elec and plumbing run in it. Its just a thought. My husband got it because we restored a vintage camper last year, but this one needs to much work for us so its getting scrapped. Maybe its just that I think I can turn anything into tortoise use lol
Well I love the idea. What model camper van is it.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thanks all, if I do it I will post pics. Its a vintage camper so I would paint it, add window boxes, shutters, and try to make it look cute on the outside as possible :)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Pretty sure I saw a converted camper trailer that was a tortoise house for Sulcata's (somewhere on the internet) when I was getting ideas for my Daughter's Sulcatas. It was fixed up REALLY Nice. I love the way you think "trash to tortoise treasure". Looking forward to pictures and the build progress too!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great idea. You need to do it, we all want to see it done. I'm sure there aren't too many out there, as I'm sure no one would buy a camper/trailer for that purpose, it would have to be more of a situation like yours

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I probably will since its there. Saves me from buying something else plus building a large pen this year. My sully is only 8 inches right now so this would be temp. I'm going to go through it again tomorrow, see what I may be getting myself into lol.